Jeep Commander Forum banner

how do I replace the sunroof seal?

14K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  bblickle 
#1 ·
Ive googled and searched but all I get is results on rigging the drain tubes and that's not what I need. My jeep has two holes in the seal and I have a new one ready to replace as soon as I find out how ha

#3 ·
fill the holes with clear silicone. It seems to me that the rubber seal is attached to a metal frame.

#5 ·
@Beeks I sealed mine with Gorilla tape because I got tired of the leaks from the stopped up drain tubes.. It works great and lasts a long time. I still have the tape that I put on 3 years ago. I didn't disable the button though. I don't see why you would need to unless you let other people drive it. I don't know if you can even get the seals any more, but sealing it with whatever you want to use would be the easiest thing to do.

#11 ·
Sorry i havent been on here in a while, i bought and installed the OEM seal on mine. You will need to remove the glass, which is just a couple screws, but its pretty self explanatory, I tried getting it in without removing the glass, but finally gave up and pulled it. The seal itself was $90, and just pushes into the groove in the glass. But i tapped it with a mallet to be sure. The most important thing is the final cut to get the exact length, you need tin snips, or strong sharp side cutters. The seal has an overmolded metal core , and has more than enough length to wrap around. Its been leak free for a year now, or at least, if it leaks, the drains can handle it. Thats how i noticed, when my drains were clogged.

#12 ·
I temporarily sealed mine with black RTV after doing both of the drains, just too much rain here in FL. I bought a new Rockauto seal and am waiting for it to cool down before replacing it. I read somewhere that it's the same as the Grand Cherokee which means dropping the headliner. If anybody knows better please chime in, I haven't done a headliner since my SJ.

#13 ·
This thread has pics and links to more threads about sunroof and headliner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.