Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 5.7 hemi and live in az. when it's over °103 outside in run sluggish. at °90and below it's a beast. how do I stay cooler. I've upgraded the filter (not the intake). I want to get a better radiator and intake but not wanting to spend over a grand. any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,198 Posts
Move to North Dakota :D That is pretty warm but the Commander should handle it. What does the engine temperature read on the dash? Most read just below half - on the left side. Is there a place to add an electric fan to help?
You said you upgraded the filter. What filter?

·
Administrator
7,103 Posts
I have the 5.7 hemi and live in az. when it's over °103 outside in run sluggish. at °90and below it's a beast. how do I stay cooler. I've upgraded the filter (not the intake). I want to get a better radiator and intake but not wanting to spend over a grand. any suggestions?
Try replacing the thermostat.

Verify that your water pump is good.

Make sure your fan is good (not missing any blades) & functioning properly.

An Aluminum Radiator would be my next step after that.

You may have to find a way to increase your budget too.

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 142k miles
161 Posts
I replaced the stock 203* thermostat with a 180* thermostat for the same reason (Florida). Helps a lot!

Reactions: bblickle

·
Administrator
7,103 Posts
I replaced the stock 203* thermostat with a 180* thermostat for the same reason (Florida). Helps a lot!
That's a smart move, it gets brutally hot down here in Florida, particularly from May through November.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Curious how a lower temp thermostat helps. Do you guys tow heavy? I've noticed that the hemi cooling system seems pretty efficient in that my fan barely runs when not towing even in TN summer heat. But it ramps up and down quite a bit towing a large pontoon.

Wouldn't a lower temp stat just open sooner but flow the same? Meaning if you overheat with a higher temp stat then same will happen with a lower temp unit.

I guess under normal load the lower temp stat might run cooler because it opens sooner and flows more but does not open fully.

Seems 203ish is an optimum temp and anything lower is less efficient.

I'd get a Bluetooth obdii adapter and the torque app to what temps you really are running.

Reactions: Arapahoe

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 142k miles
161 Posts
Curious how a lower temp thermostat helps. Do you guys tow heavy? I've noticed that the hemi cooling system seems pretty efficient in that my fan barely runs when not towing even in TN summer heat. But it ramps up and down quite a bit towing a large pontoon.

Wouldn't a lower temp stat just open sooner but flow the same? Meaning if you overheat with a higher temp stat then same will happen with a lower temp unit.

I guess under normal load the lower temp stat might run cooler because it opens sooner and flows more but does not open fully.

Seems 203ish is an optimum temp and anything lower is less efficient.

I'd get a Bluetooth obdii adapter and the torque app to what temps you really are running.

All I can tell you is I'd rather be slightly less efficient (however, I'm not seeing that at all), than risk engine temps pushing 230* as many with Hemis commonly see that could lead to a valve seat drop in a cylinder (5000$ + repair). Additionally, my temps rarely peak above 206* (max) in the summer in FLA driving in stop and go traffic and typically stay around 185 to 195*. Cooler is better in my opinion with these older Commander Hemis. And yes, I have a Bullydog that displays coolant temp and trans temp.

Reactions: Big Blue
1 - 8 of 8 Posts