Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 'new' Treadwright 265/70/17 shoes turned up today and I'm going to try to get them mounted ASAP. But calling around the local tire dealers, they want nothing to do with mounting the wheels if there are spacers on there.

So my question, how do those of you with spacers get around the corporate 'won't touch it' problem?

I don't have a spare set of rims so I can't do it that way. It seems the options I have locally are:

1. Take the wheels off, put the XK on stands, take the wheels down to a tire place in another vehicle and then take them home and remount.

2. Keep trying until I find a dubious dealer.

3. Take the spacers off, have the tires mounted, take the XK home and add spacers back. (And how is that drive home going to work if I'm running 265/70s?)

All those options suck to some extent.

I'm going to need an alignment too since I didn't do one after the lift. Do the alignment places also have a conniption over spacers ?

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I go to Discount Tire and they NEVER give me any trouble.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Never any issues here with service while my spacers are on. Just find a good shop that knows spacers won't really kill you (or them).

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I use the local "guy" who does everything from engine rebuilds to plugging tires. He is more likely to help than the big "lawsuit fearing" chain shops that just give you a tire change and send you on your way. If you have a discount tire near you I have heard they are good but have never used one myself...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it's a North Carolina thing then. My local discount tire told me they'd have to remove the spacers because it counted as 'improper fitment.' They were friendly enough, but definitely following some corporate instruction.

I'm going to try to bribe our mobile fleet management guys when they come around to do the work vehicles tomorrow. Hopefully a fist full of cash off the books might persuade them to be 'reasonable'.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The local jeep dealer. I hate going there though because I specifically tell them to torque the wheels onto the spacers at 90 ft. lbs. Well they didnt do that a few weeks ago when I had my tire balance done. They were cranked to 110 ft. lbs. Thats a no go for wheel spacers.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I go to Discount Tire and they NEVER give me any trouble.
I think GP also said Discount wouldn't work on his either do to spacers.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It is a state by state thing. Not saying you cant find a shop to do it though. Here in Va, there are guys that will do the work for you, but the spacers are technically illegal when it comes to getting the Jeep inspected. Most shops here consider it too much of a liability which we all know the spacers are safe when installed correctly, but I do understand where they're coming from. At the end of the day, it's their business and reputation on the line.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I think GP also said Discount wouldn't work on his either do to spacers.
They didn't want to put them on originally, even though I bought the tires from Discount Direct on the internet. So I got someone else to do it.

Since then I bought a new tire from Discount and have had them do rebalance and rotate.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You could also put the wheel spacers on yourself before the new tires. Be sure to use thread lock and proper torque specs. Then go to the tire dealer for a new set of tires. Keep your mouth shut about the spacers and just let them do their thing.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
That's awesome GP...lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, so I've tried bribery, I've tried sweet talking, in fact I've offered everything except my children, a kidney, or favors of an unsavory nature. If there is anyone within 30 miles who will put my wheels back on the jeep with spacers installed, I've been unable to get an admission over the phone or in person. (Except the 4x4 people who want $200 for the work. For the record they were actually wearing masks and cloaks at the time.)

So knowing perfectly well that these puppies aren't going to fit too well under the arch without spacers or the ball joint nipple removed....my question is this.

Can I hope to drive 10 miles back from the tire place with 265/70/17s on, with stock rims, no spacer and no other wheel well modifications without ripping something up badly?

Otherwise, it's going to be the XK up on stands for the day, and I'm going to take the wheels in, get them done and remount myself at home.

Why is this so annoyingly hard?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Otherwise, it's going to be the XK up on stands for the day, and I'm going to take the wheels in, get them done and remount myself at home.
I think this is your best bet.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Sad but it sounds like your only real option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts