Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 2009 Commander which the previous owner blew the original engine. The previous owner replaced the engine with a 3.7L which causes a few issues. The biggest issue is changing the oil. The drain plug is right next to a cross member. A ratchet with a socket will not fit in between the space. In the past I have used a box wrench to change the oil. The last oil change was performed by an oil change place who torqued the plug so tight we could not remove it with a box wrench. My son tried a crowfoot open end wrench which stripped the head.

So I have two questions. First how can I remove the drain plug now that its stripped? In the past I have used bolt extractor, however I cannot do that on this vehicle since the ratchet won't fit. Second how can I remove the plug in the future? A box wrench works, but if the plug is torqued on at an oil change place, a box wrench does not provide enough torque to remove it. Is there a tool, with a longer handle for leverage, that I can use?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My son has a 2009 Commander which the previous owner blew the original engine. The previous owner replaced the engine with a 3.7L which causes a few issues. The biggest issue is changing the oil. The drain plug is right next to a cross member. A ratchet with a socket will not fit in between the space. In the past I have used a box wrench to change the oil. The last oil change was performed by an oil change place who torqued the plug so tight we could not remove it with a box wrench. My son tried a crowfoot open end wrench which stripped the head.

So I have two questions. First how can I remove the drain plug now that its stripped? In the past I have used bolt extractor, however I cannot do that on this vehicle since the ratchet won't fit. Second how can I remove the plug in the future? A box wrench works, but if the plug is torqued on at an oil change place, a box wrench does not provide enough torque to remove it. Is there a tool, with a longer handle for leverage, that I can use?

Thanks in advance.
"........The biggest issue is changing the oil. The drain plug is right next to a cross member. A ratchet with a socket will not fit in between the space".

Never an issue.... looks like your stuck with a winner....I see a new pan in your future!

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Take it back to the oil change place that tightened it too much and have them fix it. Or hammer and chisel the edge of the bolt to loosen it and then vice grips. Have a new plug available. Is there room for a Fumoto valve for the future? They are the greatest if there is room. But quick change places will not change your oil if it has a Fumoto valve as it isn't in their instruction book.

Reactions: Underdog

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take it back to the oil change place that tightened it too much and have them fix it. Or hammer and chisel the edge of the bolt to loosen it and then vice grips. Have a new plug available. Is there room for a Fumoto valve for the future? They are the greatest if there is room. But quick change places will not change your oil if it has a Fumoto valve as it isn't in their instruction book.
Thanks for the reply. I thought about having my son take it back to the oil change place, but decided not to. This is the same place which 'forgot' to tighten the filter on my Ford Expedition and had to clean up a quart of oil from my employer's parking lot.

I have a set of bolt extractors which have a 1/2" hex head. I'm going to give them a shot with a box wrench. If that fails I'll use the hammer and chisel method. As for the Fumoto valve I looked into those, but decided on the traditional plug.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thanks in advance.
So I have the 5.7 but ended up grinding two "sides" to my oil plug. And using an open end wrench on it and a rubber mallet

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thanks in advance.
would one of these help you out?
Proto J5100 $110.18 3/8" Drive Socket Adapter Set , SAE , 9 pcs | Zoro.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's pretty cool, but a bit pricey. Going to try a bolt extractor this weekend. If that doesn't work, I will take some of the more 'extreme' measures mentioned above.
Thanks for the reply.
agree on pricey. they also sell individual size, so you could spend maybe $20 or less getting just the one you want. good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts