Jeep Commander Forum banner

How do you use your Tow/Haul Setting?

• If there be a trailer I'ma hauling its on!

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Only if I think the trailer is heavy enough.

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • I don't have the option.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have a button? Thanks man.

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was messing with my Tow/Haul setting the other day and wondered how other people use the setting.

I typically tow a light weight trailer to haul things to the dump and what not and do not use the button cause I deem the trailer to light.

So let me know I am curious.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Generally I use the function when I'm on hilly roads and the trans keeps downshifting to maintain momentum.
Here in the flatlands that isn't very often.

Rob
X2

On the hills!

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I used it when I pulled a trailer across the country. I wasn't sure when to use it either, so at first it was always on. Then, I figured out it seems to be just as effective to turn it on until I get to cruising speeds and then turn it off and put the cruise control on. Of course, when it gets hilly, the button gets pushed again.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
There are not any flat areas around here so when I am towing anything over 500lbs I put the tow/haul on. Towing on the highway it is nice to turn it off to get a little better fuel economy but it is necessary to manually down shift more often.

·
Registered
451 Posts
When I tow something over 2000Lbs I'll put it on. Small utility trailer=OFF. Travel Trailer=ON. ( I hate that it turns off with the ignition BTW) I have also played with it when I feel like driving a little agressive, but not really noticed much difference...
-JJ

·
Registered
243 Posts
I always use the Tow/Haul botton when I drive. I have found that because I upgraded to larger tires, the 4.7 really has to work. Pressing the button elimanates the contast down shifting. Got better milage too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I played with it a little this weekend. We went camping and I towed our travel trailer with it for the first time. On the way to the camp site I had it off, on the way home I had it on. It actually ran lower RPMs on the interstate with the tow haul on versus having it off. I figured it would be the opposite since it takes the over drive option away. I will definetly use it all the time when hauling our trailer. Our trailer weighs about 5000lbs dry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts