Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I don't have any scientific evidence, but I can make an educated guess that installing a roof rack would have an immeasurable effect on fuel economy. You might lose something like a tenth of a MPG. A roof basket tends to be a little worse, but still not a big deal...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I run the Yakima Mega Warrior with the extension - and it doesn't seem to hurt my 13.7 MPG!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm getting avg. 15.5 mpg with mixed driving (city/hwy) with 4 people, a Yakima Mega Warrior basket, and a trailer hitch bike carrier.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I am also running the Yakima Mega Warrior basket and get between 15 and 18 mpg. I agree with TR4Runner, I do not think the effect is much, most difference is only the added weight which you would get no matter what you add to you vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I'm running a setup like Phunkeydude's, and I get about 15-16 mpg.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sidebar Question, my bad...

Those with the mega-warrior rack -- any have the extension on with sirius radio? I'm wondering if the rack screws up the antenna reception!?!

Slainte'
O'C

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I have the extension and have no trouble with the radio reception. You just need to be sure the cross bar is not over the antenna. There will be problems if the rack is loaded and the items block reception.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes, any impact will be the same as if you carry the roof rack in the cargo area. I don't think the rack is going to create that much extra drag. These things already have the aerodynamics of a tool shed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts