Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
few weeks ago i got my 4x4 pass for the beach (long Island, NY). so far i used it twice. the first time no problem, the second time i got stuck prity bad, up to the chasy. this being my second time driving on the beach it took away my confidence of driving in sand. i'm sure it had a little(or a lot) to do with my lack of experiance but still leaves me second guessing the commander on sand. So how is your commander in sand and do you have any tips? an explorer and a hummer tried towing me out but just couldnt do it. it took in old CJ to do the trick

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Type "SAND" in the search box and you will find several threads that address this.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
thanks, i'm new to this site and didnt know you can do that
Not a problem, you would not know if you did not ask. If you don't find what your looking for come back here and ask again.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Last month in the OBX I had no issues in very soft or very wet. Aired down to 20 psi and ran like a champ. Even did well at full pressure but ride was a bit rougher and tended to follow ruts from prior vehicles instead of cutting it's own path.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I played for a bit in some sand down in Georgia and it was fine - but it is QDII and 2" higher than stock. The sand was soft and deep but it never got stuck.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Completely stock (except exhaust) tires not aired down.

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
How far are you driving in that sand J5253, and are you monitoring your temp guage? You can drive in sand without airing down, but if plan on keeping your XK for several years, you may pay the price.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I went playing in the sand with no problem but I had to air down to 15 PSI, the TPMS kept on beeping!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Here is a picture from Silver Lake, Mi

/Users/drakedumot/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/Jun 29, 2008/100_0115.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im heading down to OBX at the end of August and was wondering how the commander would do in the sand. This post helped me out on that. I have had my 85 Ford Ranger bone stock at the time on the sand and never had a problem, but was curious on the Jeep since it is conciderably heavier. I have the 3.7 with a QT1 system, but it looks like if i air down to 15 to 20 psi I should be fine. This site is awesome for info.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Here is a picture from Silver Lake, Mi

/Users/drakedumot/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/Jun 29, 2008/100_0115.JPG
Drako, this link doesn't work. I want to see this!!!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Definately air down your tires in 4 low with ESP OFF!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Definately air down your tires in 4 low with ESP OFF!
Generally in sand if you air down you will not need 4 low. On many public beaches in North Carolina you will not be able to keep up with the other beach traffic if you are driving around in 4 low. And if there is any doubt, just talk to the locals. You will not find them running around in 4 low.

You know, the more I read this forum I realize there are a handful of people that post all the time but have no idea WTF they are talking about.

I think I even saw in someone's signature that they wired up a switch to turn off the traction control system. :rofl:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was at the OBX a few weeks ago and had zero problem. Next time I will air down for sure just to save some wear and tear but like it was said before, turn esp Off! Don't just press the button once either, be sure to hold it down to completly turn it off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
why do you want to turn off the esp in sand? i understand airing down for traction but what would that have to do with wear and tear? and why does driving in sand effect the temp?

·
1,993 Posts
why do you want to turn off the esp in sand? i understand airing down for traction but what would that have to do with wear and tear? and why does driving in sand effect the temp?
airing down is all about keeping your tires on top of the sand instead of digging into it, it has nothing to do with wear and tear. The ESP is turned off because mostly to keep the computer from taking over messing with the system. A lot of times you need tire spin to get moving or do to tire spin you go sideways a little bit and if the computer jumped in and tried to correct this you could become stuck from loosing your momentum. The temp rises because of how hard the engine is working at such low speeds. Driving threw sand has a lot of resistance to it and your engine is working just as hard and even harder then towing a heavy trailer except your speed is usually below 20MPH so not a lot of air flow to help cool the system down.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Driving on the beach at OBX was a cakewalk. I did about 60 miles plus with absolutely no problems. I did air down to 22 and turned off the ESP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts