Jeep Commander Forum banner

how many miles can you put on your jeep

57K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  Spring3314 
#1 ·
Hello

I purchased my first jeep the Commander earlier this year, love it,

question: how many miles can we put on our commanders

I guess if you owned a jeep in the past would give a good idea, what my question is have some of you owned your jeep for 10yrs or more? how many miles have you put on it? any major repairs?

the reason I am asking I would like to keep my commander for 10yrs or more will the engine take 150,000 -200000 miles ( 241,000km, 321,000km) I am hoping based on the owners that have jeep cherokee we would get a good idea with our commanders
thanks

#2 ·
Well, there are many who have Jeeps such as the Cherokee or Wrangler powered by the 4.0L I6 engine who put up to 300,000 miles on the original engine. I have over 145,000 miles on my Cherokee right now.

However, nobody has had their Commanders long enough. I doubt many have racked up even 100,000 miles yet.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, there are many who have Jeeps such as the Cherokee or Wrangler powered by the 4.0L I6 engine who put up to 300,000 miles on the original engine. I have over 145,000 miles on my Cherokee right now.

However, nobody has had their Commanders long enough. I doubt many have racked up even 100,000 miles yet.
I have a 2009 Jeep Commander and it has 258296 miles on it and it runs fine. I mean I do the normal maintenance oil changes but it does me great.

Car Odometer Vehicle Gauge Measuring instrument

#4 ·
1989 Cherokee--300,000 plus miles 4.0L 6 aw4 tranny 3 1/2" lift 31" tires. Runs like a champ, use all synthetic fluids.
1996 Grand Cherokee--129,000 miles 4.0L 1" lift with 30" tires. Runs great, manifold just started to leak otherwise perfect.
2001 Wrangler (TJ) Sahara model--79,000 miles 4.0L engine 4 1/2" lift 34" mud terrains this jeep looks and runs like brand new though its been on nearly every named trail in America including the Rubicon.
2007 Commander, Overland Hemi Engine 6,000 miles. Never have had one single problem yet with it. Only negative bad gas mileage compared to above BUT ITS A HEMI and I just LOVE IT.
Guess you can tell I am PRONE to JEEPS. Cant speak for the Commander yet as it has so many gadgets on it dont know how long they will last but all the others have caused me no problems. john

#5 ·
1991 Wrangler - 95k
1995 Cherokee - 57k.... ran like a champ but accident prone
1997 Grand Cherokee - 42k....my lemon....4 transfer cases
2001 Grand Cherokee - 93k....GREAT VEHICLE!!
2006 Commander - 17K and counting....lovin it so far

#6 ·
My teenager drives a '96 Cherokee. It's relatively low miles (140k) maybe and has been problem free for the two years we've had it. They put a lift kit on it, but they haven't done anything else but change the oil and rotate the tires.

I'll have my Commander up there pretty quickly. I've done 30,000 miles since January. I had a sensor go bad on the airbags, they put a new motor in the passenger side window. I think that's it, other than the smashed front end (can't blame that one on Jeep). It's at 41,000 now. I'll see 100,00 by the end of 2008 for sure.

Katy

#7 ·
For ALL You NON BelieverS

I currently have 163,000 + miles on my 2007 Jeep Commander sport V6 3.7, and it still works good, I drive it every day, had mine since 2009, only had 27,000 miles on it when I bought it. The only thing I really hate about the Commander is that it's really horrible on gas mileage, i can rent a 30 ft long Budget Rental moving truck diesel, and get way better gas mileage, these commanders, unless limited with the gas saver systems, only get 15-17 miles in town, and 20-22 on highway, that's garbage! I'm glad the gas prices are low right now, it's costed 70 dollars to fill the tank when gas was 3.80 a gallon, now it costs 25 to 27 dollars to fill the tank. I think I'll take mine to 260,000 miles or more before I have to do any major repairs to it. But I probably wont have it by then, trying to sell mine now for 4Grand, any buyers? lol

#8 ·
Earlier Jeeps were made with earlier technology that is more rugged. It may need repairs and parts replaced, but the parts were fairly inexpensive and easy to replace, the major items, like axles/differentials, driveshafts and engines lasted forever, although NOT that efficient.

The newer Jeeps that are based on FWD car platforms, FWD layouts are NOT known for longevity. They typically tear up the transverse drivetrain well enough by high miles they are just NOT economically practical to repair. Of course there are always exceptions, I'm sure there are some high-end FWD that last very well, and more than a few driving a 250k mile Honda civic bragging about it despite it clunking and shaking and making all sorts of noise while it drives.

To get at what rubicontrail eluded to, the more modern Jeeps that still have the same layout of the old Jeeps, the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and our Commanders. They have more modern technology in them and thus subjected to modern difficulties, so its tough to predict.

A few things on the Commander/Grand Cherokee you didn't see on the old Jeeps that are the same layout; Non-Replaceable U-Joints, the entire driveshaft has to be replaced. Front Shocks that are Coil Over Shock with HD Mount like a Strut, making replacement more expensive, difficult and longer. Electrical Shifted Transfer Cases, again increasing cost of repair and replacement, etc, etc.

So arguably, you hit that point of repair and maintenance becoming more than is economically practical way before you did some of the older Jeeps that could be fixed up rather inexpensively and easily.

There are still 4th hand Jeep Wranglers and Cherokees from the 80's and 90's, being fixed up, modified and used as pure Off-Road beater/hobby vehicles. Arguably, you may see very few 2005 and on WK/XK vehicles being used for that. The cost and/or difficulty to fix them up may be just impractical for a hobby rig.

Oh, and to be honest, if you were to look close at some of those beater rigs run awful and have worn out motors that should be replaced. They really do keep them running on bailing wire and spit. And that is also a problem with the regulations and standards for new vehicles, they have so much technology and emissions monitoring, you can't keep the motor running, there is no room to improvise, no compromises, no tricks or work around, fix it right or it won't run. Meanwhile motors from the 80's, my belch black smoke and blue smoke, but you can rig it to keep running.

Oh BTW, I have 138k miles on my 2010. But I have NOT done a lot of off-roading or stressful driving on it. Only thing I consider a "black mark" on quality/reliability, the AC evaporator failed around 60k miles, recurring a very expensive repair. The rest I had a TPMS sensor go bad, EVAP/Purge light for a bad gas cap, a bad Engine Coolant Temp sensor, all I consider well within normal wear & tear, maintenance and reasonable repair of owning a vehicle.

I replace shocks and strut mounts at 110k miles (a little later than I should have), again normal maintenance.

I currently have some misfire codes (even with new plugs) and rough running on cold mornings with a cold engine. I think it may be a bad PCV valve or EGR behind it, at 138k miles, I consider that well within reasonable maintenance and repair, as part of owning a vehicle.

#9 ·
I've got a 1999 grand Cherokee limited with a 4.0 that was replaced by the 2010 xk and it has 262 plus on it still running strong, now it's my car I think if they are taken care or they can last as long as you want.

Swanny

#14 ·
Just bought an 07 lmtd 4.7 for 5k. Thought I was doing well with an odometer reading of 103k but failed to due a vin# check prior to buying and found the last reading was @163k on the history report ? Assuming the cluster panel was swapped out. Good news is it's super clean inside and out and seems to run strong. Guessing it has around 180k on it so hopefully I can get a few years of fun out of her.

#18 ·
239;000 on my 06 Commander 5,7 Hemi. Bought it new. I have had my fair share of repairs, but it is by far the best of the 4 Jeeps I have owned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I've had my 06 hemi 4x4 since new as well. Love it. It's been a hellava truck!

#19 ·
I recently hit 300k on my '08 Commander 3.7 4x4
I bought it new and am responsible for every mile on it. No major repairs, just the usual; alternator, radiator, fan, starter, windshield, injectors, coils, and a whole bunch of tires, brake pads and oil changes.
Still commuting 120 miles roundtrip in it every day without a care in the world (at least none about my Jeep)

#23 ·
I recently hit 300k on my '08 Commander 3.7 4x4
I bought it new and am responsible for every mile on it. No major repairs, just the usual; alternator, radiator, fan, starter, windshield, injectors, coils, and a whole bunch of tires, brake pads and oil changes.
Still commuting 120 miles roundtrip in it every day without a care in the world (at least none about my Jeep)
Good to see an XK hit the 300K mark, thanks for sharing @jeepsnboards;

#20 ·
That’s freaking awesome! I just bought a little close to the beginning of the year with 258k. I got rid of my Jeep Cherokee Limited 2015 because it was a unnecessary buy that I did not think I needed. And bought my Commander for $850. The previous owner took really good care of it and made sure maintenance and everything was to date. Only had two issues so far first one was it was leaking water to my driver side floorboard every time it rained and my transmission cooler got busted from a rock as I was headed to TN. Fixed both of those issues and she runs great. I am hoping that I can keep her running for a while.
Do you buy chance have a dipstick for your transmission fluid? When mine busted I was unsure how much I needed to put back in and there were not many resources on the amount. We filled to about 70% or somewhere around there, but not sure of it.

#25 ·
#28 ·
Well......I didn't make the 300,000 club. The motor bit the dust at 271,600 miles. I am going to replace it. The vehicle still looks brand new inside and out. I am going to have to pay to get it done though. I have to many other projects taking my time right now.My heater core blew out 3 years to the day. And I suppose it took out the motor.The temp never rose past half way. Oh well. The turn key job will be slightly over $10,000. I normally would just sell this thing to someone. But I certainly can't buy a car for 10 grand. Under our current administration. Plus I just spent $3000 on a complete new suspension system and tires,last fall.Wish me luck.

#29 ·
@Spraygun Which engine do you have? It would help if you would create a signature with your Commander's details.

#31 ·
@Spraygun I know you are not new but I don't see your signature. It may have been deleted with the software change. If you would please make it again we would appreciate it. Thanks.

#33 ·
@Spraygun If you will give me the details (year, model trim, 4WD or 2WD, 4WD system, engine) I will do it for you.

#35 ·
@Spraygun Yeah, you had the info but didn't put in the boxes where it would show up here. I took care of it and you are good to go. Thanks.

#37 ·
I bought my 2096 Commander 4.7L for my son in 2011 when he graduated college. Bought used obviously with 75k on the odometer. I "inherited" from him when he bought his first car in 2019 and Jeep had 185k on it. It now has 200k - it is not my daily driver, but was for my son. While I have had to replace many different items - the engine, transmission and drive train have had only maintenance items done. Mechanically it has held well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.