Jeep Commander Forum banner

i'm interested in a bumper and would purchase the following

• overland model- loaded baby

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • base model- stripped down version

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • i will never off road my commander therefore i do not need one!

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • custom version

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm curious how many of you would buy a bumper.

i'm going to start the proto-type around mid- february.

it will offer:
-more ground clearance
-lower profile then the stock bumper
-include a brush gaurd
-include a hidden winch
-tow loops on the front

it will be able to house either a warn winch or a super winch. 9000 lbs capacity.

i'm thinking there will be two models available:

one including: (overland edition :D )

-bumper of course
-brush gaurd
-tow loops
-hidden winch mounting options
-black or silver power coatings
-hardware and instuctions for install
-skid plate from the bumper to the radiator support.

priced between $900-1100

and the second: (sport model :D )

-bumper
-tow loops
-you paint it or whatever
-hardware and instuctions for install
$500-700

now the only thing i'm trying to figure out, is the windshield reservoir bottle hangs down below where i'm planning on making the bumper. so it may need to be moved up about 1 inch. which would make it easier to fill it.

i may make it possible to custom order for a few more dollars.

thanks-

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just a heads up. if these do well, i plan on building a rear bumper with a tire carrier, and some real rock rails for the rockers.

the rear bumper will have:

integrated swing out tire carrier with a shovel holder, and high lift mount, and jerry can holders. it will also have tow loops built into it.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Nows a good time! I have a tax return waiting to be spent!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Bring it on.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Winch capability is a must for me. Commander is pretty stock and it may need the occasional help.

·
Registered
456 Posts
very interesting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Overland model for me....

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay i'm going to start working on a webpage with a ordering set-up. i'll make it possible to pay with a credit card.

the models are:

overland:

sport:

custom:

there is a guy who does powder coatings in town. i'm going to get quotes for having the bumpers powder coated.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Are you going to build a protype first? And what is your experience with fabrication?

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have a certificate of metal fabrication from montana state university.

i've been fabricating stuff for the last 6-7 years.

i've been think about going into business for a few years.

i'll be building the prototype pretty soon. i have to order a winch, and a tube bender.

i'll be ready to build as soon as i recieve these items. i already have an arc welder. i'm trying to decide on which miller welder i'm going to purchase.

i've built flatbeds, bumpers, exhaust systems, and lots of other crap.

i fabricated everything on this truck.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/692620

i'll have pictures as soon as i am all finished with moving. i'm very busy right now, i'm working in wyoming, packing up my old house, working on my surveyors certificate, trying to spend time with my wife and kids on the weekend. my house in montana closes on the 12th of february, then we move into our new place.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing the prototype. Good luck with the move and starting your own business.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would be interested but what is important to me is that you try and keep it as clean as possible. I want the lines of the bumper to flow with the lines of the Jeep. Needs to look like a Mopar accessory. I would prefer that there are cutouts for the factory fog lights also. You have people with $30 to $45K Jeeps and they are going to want something that does not look homemade. Needs to have good fit and finish. If it can have the same quality as ARB or AEV then it will sell well.
Go for it!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
walkjon said:
I would be interested but what is important to me is that you try and keep it as clean as possible. I want the lines of the bumper to flow with the lines of the Jeep. Needs to look like a Mopar accessory. I would prefer that there are cutouts for the factory fog lights also. You have people with $30 to $45K Jeeps and they are going to want something that does not look homemade. Needs to have good fit and finish. If it can have the same quality as ARB or AEV then it will sell well.
Go for it!
This was my thought too. Really want one but it has to look like it belongs to my commander. Looking forward to your prototype.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it will not look homemade. it will be formed with minimal welds showing.

it will follow the body lines but also focus on clearance and function ability

it will also be light and strong.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would definitely buy one! Regarding the rear bumper - I'd kill for one with:

1) Swing-away tire carrier capable of holding up to 34" tire
2) Mount for hi-lift jack
3) Mount for blitz can, or a plate that can accept the ORU blitz-can mounting plate

I've been looking at the hitch-carrier swing away bumper, but it seems to lack the reserve fuel can mount, and would have to spend a few hundred extra for welding on a bracket for it.

!c

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Off topic, I apologize - are you moving from Montana to Wyoming or the other way around? Maybe I missed that part. Either way, I'm more of a function over form kinda guy, but my wife wants it to look pretty too. =)

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'm moving to wyoming. its a better place for businesses. there isn't any income tax. and there are not as many or any tree huggers like there are in montana.

i've lived in wyoming before my move to montana for 6+ years.

i grew up in montana. and when i started going to school i moved to wyoming. i was converted to a wyoming person. and thats how i'll die.

a brief history. enjoy!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.