Jeep Commander Forum banner

i'm interested in a bumper and would purchase the following

• overland model- loaded baby

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • base model- stripped down version

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • i will never off road my commander therefore i do not need one!

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • custom version

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
one other thing i will add.

on the front bumper i will be installing these.

3/4" weld-on d-rings rated up to 26k pounds breaking strength.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Quit teasing, and build me a bumper. Is there a waiting list, first deposit first delivery?

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i have to do a few more things.

i'm going to sub-contract out some of the process of building the bumper. i'm working on cad plans so the people can bend my pieces right. i'll do the final assembly. '

i want to just have the pieces bend and cut and so i can do a little less work. plus it'll make it easier to get these out quicker.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I look forward to your web page with both the Overland front winch bumper, the rocker guards and the rear tire carrier. I personally hate having the spare tire UNDER the jeep. Not only a pain to get out and/or air up but if you really need it offroad theres a good chance you wont be able to extract it. john

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
John said:
I look forward to your web page with both the Overland front winch bumper, the rocker guards and the rear tire carrier. I personally hate having the spare tire UNDER the jeep. Not only a pain to get out and/or air up but if you really need it offroad theres a good chance you wont be able to extract it. john
Or maybe even rake it over a rock or two... been there, done that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Very interested!!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
4.7commander said:
i have to do a few more things.

i'm going to sub-contract out some of the process of building the bumper. i'm working on cad plans so the people can bend my pieces right. i'll do the final assembly. '

i want to just have the pieces bend and cut and so i can do a little less work. plus it'll make it easier to get these out quicker.
If you are going to put DRINGS on the front bumper I hope you will thru weld (ie weld it to both sides of bumper) john

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
i wouldn't worry about it. the center part of the bumper that holds the winch will be 1/4" steel. i have never been able to rip 1/4" steel, maybe put a little bend in it, but thats it.

and if you are talking about rosette welds, they will not be necessary.

i have not had any of my welds fail on me yet. i built the suspension that was on my old toyota rock crawler. i built all the mounting points and welded them all to the frame. i also designed my suspension system, flatbed, and bumpers. the truck would still be alive today if the dumbass that bought it from my brother had not rolled it 14 times down a mountain. luckley for him i had installed a roll cage.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Aren't recovery points usually bolted on and not welded? I don't really know that much about it but it seems that the ones I've seen are bolted.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
jeep5253 said:
Aren't recovery points usually bolted on and not welded? I don't really know that much about it but it seems that the ones I've seen are bolted.
Have seen both... welded ones are usually heavier duty.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
i don't know, maybe its the welder in me. but i don't trust bolts as much as i trust my ability to weld.

you could get some cheap Chinese bolts that are not up to grade. :D

just my humble opinion.

jeep5253 said:

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I like the bolt option simply so you can change them out if they get damaged. If they can withstand anything then I guess it is no biggie.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know ARB and other manufacturers take into consideration airbag compatibility. The custom bumpers that were fab’d for my CJ didn’t have to worry about that. But for a rig that will spend time as a daily, I’d want to be sure the airbags will deploy accurately in the event they need to…

I’m a big fan of what you’re trying to do. I’d want to be sure the bumper installed work with the airbag systems. I’m not sure where the sensors are in the commander, but I know many vehicles have them in a strategic place and depend on a certain amount of give from the bumper. (although I’m no expert on the subject)

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Sooo, its been almost two weeks and no update, what gives??? Maybe I'm just too impatient!

·
Registered
190 Posts
For the D-Rings, I would like to be able to take the Ring off to be able to feed it through the loop in a tow strap. I'm not a fan of having to loop the tow strap through itself, partly because I don't want to end up in a position where it has to be done on the other side. My vote is for D-Ring mounting points.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.