Jeep Commander Forum banner

How often you go off-road on your Commander?

• Never, don't want & not willing to go off-road

Votes: 42 18.8%
  • Occasionally, maybe once or twice every several months

Votes: 82 36.6%
  • Sometimes, at least once a month

Votes: 47 21.0%
  • Often, between one to three times a month

Votes: 30 13.4%
  • Very often, almost every weekend

Votes: 23 10.3%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
cico7 said:
I think some of you put too much thought into the question.

If you have never gone and dont think you say never.

Dont think so hard.....you'll hurt yourself! :D
Couldn't agree more :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
webjones said:
If you consider Forest Service roads and gravel road negotiable with 2WD, and cow pastures, as off-road - once or twice a month. So I voted at the center of the two extreme ends.

yup thats off road, theres a lot of vehicles over here that would struggle on these roads. I found the forestry roads in North Wales ( I grew up there) were a great place to learn how a 4x4 handles.

nice to see the 2wd guys get out too:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went off roading at least 4 times last year. It was so much fun! I didn't even have off road tires. They were the ones that came with the jeep. Got stuck only 2 times :-D

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't plan to ever take my Commander off road. I have XJ's for that and don't want to scratch,dent or break anything in the Commander. I live in a rural area and just getting to my house in bad weather requires 4 wheel drive. I only buy Jeeps and wanted something fancy with whistles and bells to take on road trlips and still maintain the Jeep logo, and have the proven reliability of their 4wheel drive if I need it. Jeep rules everything in it's class. Anything else is a wannabe.
HT

·
Registered
480 Posts
Every weekend! I do research that takes me into the woods several miles. I drive the Commander most of the way. My favorite part is climbing a steep hill to take a short cut to the thruway. People look at me funny as the Jeep comes over the embankment covered in mud and brush. I have to post some pics or vids soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I try to hit the coast when I can... It is nice to be able to take a vehicle on the beach and not get stuck. Especially when I'm fishing :)

I used to live up in Michigan and Chicago. Been driving Jeeps forever. Can't say enough about not having to shovel the snow to get to work in the morning :) Luckily in NC I don't have to do that anymore (i hope!)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like previous posters, would have to say never, but not that I dont ever plan to. I have my wrangler for off-roading, the commander is more for dealing with inclement weather. Once it is a bit older, and we get a few dings and scratches in it, then will be more than willing to take it out to play and find out its true capabilities.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Never but not because I'm not willing. I'm new to the Jeep thing and live in the city.
I would like to find some moderate trails that would give my stock Commander and my beginning off road driving skills a chalange.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't specifically go out for off roading since I live in an rural area. My roads just turn into off roading. I live in an area where the roads might get groomed once every three months. The reason that I got this jeep was because I had an Acura Integra and I pulled into the approach where the house I was moving into was and it was about January. The snow banks were higher than my car, right than and there I said I have to get a different vehicle. I see cars in the ditch all the time where I am because after it rains, the roads turn to clay. There is more gravel in the ditch than the top of the road for the most part anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
If I could go offroad once a day that still would not be enough.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's been a while since I've been off-road in the Commander (and that was in Hatteras in July). Back in the day when I lived in Colorado I would go at least a couple times a month with my Wrangler. I'm getting in with a Jeep club here in town that makes runs almost once a month just so I can get back into the joy of off-roading.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does living on a dirt road count as "going off road"? Right now my Commander is sitting in the parking lot here at work with a large "bathtub ring" around it....it's been raining and washed all the mud off! I live a mile from the nearest paved road. When ever it rains the mud holes appear. The deepest one (when full of water) comes up to the rockers. The mud here is a combination of clay like goo and sand...with those famous Mojave tire slicing rocks tossed in for extra excitment!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do construction work/jobsites count? If so then at least 5 times a month just in December.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
I don't plan to ever take my Commander off road. I have XJ's for that and don't want to scratch,dent or break anything in the Commander. I live in a rural area and just getting to my house in bad weather requires 4 wheel drive. I only buy Jeeps and wanted something fancy with whistles and bells to take on road trlips and still maintain the Jeep logo, and have the proven reliability of their 4wheel drive if I need it. Jeep rules everything in it's class. Anything else is a wannabe.
HT
I like the way you think. :icon_cheers:

21 - 40 of 77 Posts