Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed a starter in my wifes 2006 Jeep Commander and could not find a good "how to" on the web. There probably is one but I couldn't find a detailed one. So I figured I would post this to help the next guy out there.

1. Block rear tires
2. Jack up vehicle from jack point just behind drivers front tire.
3. Put jackstahnds under both front jack points.
4. Remove drivers side front wheel. 3/4in (more room to work)
5. Remove 30a fuse that powers all radio functions
6. Place transfer case in neutral (engine on,foot brake on , trans in neutral)
7. Remove negative battery cable and secure (10mm)
8. Remove 4 15mm bolts from front of driveshaft(impact wrench and possibly heat to remove)(put loc-tite on when reinstalled)
8. Remove 6 8mm bolts from rear of driveshaft.
9. Seperate driveshaft from transfer case and slide rearward and leave there.
10. Remove 2 15mm bolts holding starter.
11. Manipulate starter to access two 10mm bolts holding heat shield and remove shield.
12. Remove 13mm bolt holding large wire connector with flex head ratchet
13. Rotate starter to view small wire connector. Push on connector release on side located near center of selonoid and it will pop off easily(do not pry).
14. Install new starter in reverse order or removal.
Tools required Good impact wrench , air compressor , 3/8 flex head ratchet, various extentions 1/2" and 3/8" , 1/2-15mm socket,3/8-13mm socket , 1/4-8mm socket, 10mm box wrench, 3/8-1/4 adapter, blue loc-tite, jacks and stands, propane torch , flashlight.
Thanks Nate Simcox

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...8. Remove 4 15mm bolts from front of driveshaft(impact wrench and possibly heat to remove)(put loc-tite on when reinstalled)
8. Remove 6 8mm bolts from rear of driveshaft.
9. Seperate driveshaft from transfer case and slide rearward and leave there...

...Tools required Good impact wrench , air compressor....
For those that do NOT have a "Good" impact wrench and air compressor, is there an alternate?

Although, I imagine NOT prefered, having a helper stand on the brakes while you use hand tools to unbolt the front drivershaft would work. The drivetrain is designed to take several hundred ft-lbs of torque, I'd think 100 or so, applied by hand tools, would NOT hurt the drivetrain.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the detailed steps. I am surprised by the radio fuse and front drive shaft removal, but I haven't had to replace a starter on the commander yet and it is a little more cramped than an F150.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I changed the starter I did not know about the radio fuse. It is a tsb for jeep dealers that is not widely known for the 2006 year. I found out about it after the radio was damaged. I have not personally looked for the 30a fuse but the tsb says to remove the 30a amp fuse for radio functions. I assume there is another fuse besides the typical 15-20 amp fuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
what if you forget to take out the 30 aml fuse? cuz i just did but i just removed it havent put the new one back? but now i took it off? dam i should have ready it carefully

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very good writeup Nate00 !

I'm not just there yet on my 2007 Hemi but reading here, I know it's a question of time...

Thank you again !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nate00,

Would you believe ? 4 days after I congratulate you for your write up, my starter, as of tonight, is gone...

I will be using your write up tomorrow morning. Thanks for it as I now, at least, know a bit of what I'm getting into...

Dominik aka Walterkilo
Montreal.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
When I changed the starter I did not know about the radio fuse. It is a tsb for jeep dealers that is not widely known for the 2006 year. I found out about it after the radio was damaged. I have not personally looked for the 30a fuse but the tsb says to remove the 30a amp fuse for radio functions. I assume there is another fuse besides the typical 15-20 amp fuse.
What happens to the radio if you do not remove the fuse ? Seems to me if the fuse was left in it should blow if there is a spike in voltage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So today I have removed the starter from my 2007 Hemi. I can't say it was much fun. Not fun at all in fact. Very tight placement, couldn't find the second bolt holding the heat shield till the starter was unbolted. That done, I had to remove the signal plug who wouldn't let go and then the positive wire 13mm bolt. Of course, with the bolts removed the starter would then rotate as I was trying to unbolt the positive bolt. Had to rebolt the starter to finally remove the positive...

On a hemi, there is no need to remove the front drive shaft as I have read elsewhere here. Removing the front driver's wheel and the wheel liner opened a window where you can either see or touch not both... Removing the wheel liner also cost 13 plastic rivets... The same window will eventually let the old starter out and the new one in. I hate working on cars, you can give me a motorcycle, an atv or any elevator any day but a car, no thanks... The hemi seems especially space handicaped to me...

After testing my starter on the bench, the solenoid works fine but the starter itself just doesn't turn. No ohmage at all. No wonder why all my key turning and all my banging on the starter all failed with the clicks of the solenoid...

As of monday morning, my wife will get on the phone to locate a new starter. Till she founds one and till I can install it back in the "Limited" Commander, we will be a one car 5 person family... That is if a 1995 Civic can still be called a car...

I will let you all know how it will finish with canadian cost in bonus !

·
Registered
104 Posts
FYI - Just to add to this info....

On a Hemi 4x4, it is possible to do this without several of those steps. (I just finished doing a starter replacement, unfortunately in my office parking lot!)

Disconnect Battery
Rip out fender liner
Remove two 15mm bolts, 2 small heatshield bolts, one *really* annoying power clip and one13mm nut for the power line.

Pull starter out via fender hole.

Install in reverse.

No driveshaft removal, don't even have to jack up the car, nor pull the tire (2" lift helps I suspect)

Took 1:20 as I was racing against darkness...

and pray you have good dexterity with your fingertips, and a flexhead gear wrench is a plus too, as everything is a HUGE pain to reach in such a tight space, but it is possible!

I need a beer...

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What happens to the radio if you do not remove the fuse ? Seems to me if the fuse was left in it should blow if there is a spike in voltage.
Fuses don't protect against voltage spikes, fuses just protect against fires from drawing too much current over the circuit, it will heat the wires to the point of a fire hazard.

That is why they have Surge Protectors for your Home that already has circuit breaker or fuses protecting the circuits. To provide the more thorough protection that sensitive electronics need. Cause the sensitive electronics could easily suffer damage before, if ever, tripping the circuit breaker/blowing the fuse.

Maybe thats the logic behind pulling the fuse, protecting against a surge or spike when reconnecting/disconnecting the battery?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, first post here. This forum has been a wealth of information for me as I maintain my fiance's 2006 Commander but this is the first time I have had to post, here I am. Apologies in advance for resurrecting an antique thread but I'd rather not start a new thread when this one is so relevant.

This rig has about 176,000 miles on it, my fiance is the original owner and the starter has never been replaced, until now. I am replacing the starter and everything went along more or less as described in this thread until it came time to get that dastardly little wire off. I am simply unable to get the clip loose. There have been several vague, but dire, warnings about simply prying the clip off, but this one appears to be glued on somehow. It looks for all the world like the clip was shot full of RTV at the factory. The photo below clearly shows some sort of substance in the clip. Now, what happens if I DO simply pry it off? Will it not re-attach firmly and continually wiggle loose? How is it supposed to come off? Earlier posts mentioned "Pinching" it to release it, but this is obviously not a pinch-clip; or at least not one I have ever seen before.

Any suggestions or wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
There is no reason to take out the 30a radio fuse. Just disconnect the neg battery cable. Not sure why they would tell you to take out a fuse.

·
Registered
887 Posts
There is no reason to take out the 30a radio fuse. Just disconnect the neg battery cable. Not sure why they would tell you to take out a fuse.
Agreed! Just did this 2 weeks ago and did not remove the fuse. Have a MyGig and there was no damage when finished.

BTW - Wish I had thought to take out the inner fender well... That driveshaft is a b1tch to get torqued correctly. I ended up putting the tcase in neutral to rotate then locking to torque. Had to do this 3-4 times.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hello all, first post here. This forum has been a wealth of information for me as I maintain my fiance's 2006 Commander but this is the first time I have had to post, here I am. Apologies in advance for resurrecting an antique thread but I'd rather not start a new thread when this one is so relevant.

This rig has about 176,000 miles on it, my fiance is the original owner and the starter has never been replaced, until now. I am replacing the starter and everything went along more or less as described in this thread until it came time to get that dastardly little wire off. I am simply unable to get the clip loose. There have been several vague, but dire, warnings about simply prying the clip off, but this one appears to be glued on somehow. It looks for all the world like the clip was shot full of RTV at the factory. The photo below clearly shows some sort of substance in the clip. Now, what happens if I DO simply pry it off? Will it not re-attach firmly and continually wiggle loose? How is it supposed to come off? Earlier posts mentioned "Pinching" it to release it, but this is obviously not a pinch-clip; or at least not one I have ever seen before.

Any suggestions or wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I used a screwdriver and pried against the starter terminal pushing the clip off. It was still a pain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
07 4.7l jeep commander starter removal

I was able the actually take the starter out by the tire but had to take the heat shield off then just angle it right and came right out. Save some time from removing the drive shaft and my luck causing more problems

·
Registered
602 Posts
Had mine changed yesterday

My mechanic (works at Goodyear) changed my starter on my '06 4.7at my home yesterday. He used a creeper without lifting truck at all and got the job done in just under two hours. He did not remove the drive shaft or the fender well. He was able to snake it out through the front somehow. Got a brand new napa starter w lifetime warranty and a 5 gallon bucket for $128 and some change. Mechanic asked for $60 bucks but I gave him a bill. Woulda cost me right at $400 at Goodyear. :headbang2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts