Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, is a long time that i realize that my jeep commander CRD 2007 has difficulties to start with the cold temperature. This weekend i've been to the mountain and the temp outside was -8 Celsius. Alter all night long i start my jeep ( waiting for the Glowplug light to go away) and the engine is like hesitating to start. I don't have to turn the key a second time, the car is doing all, but i feel the engine that is not starting good. Is not possible that i have to change some Glowplug??
someone already did it??
thanks a lot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi everyone, is a long time that i realize that my jeep commander CRD 2007 has difficulties to start with the cold temperature. This weekend i've been to the mountain and the temp outside was -8 Celsius. Alter all night long i start my jeep ( waiting for the Glowplug light to go away) and the engine is like hesitating to start. I don't have to turn the key a second time, the car is doing all, but i feel the engine that is not starting good. Is not possible that i have to change some Glowplug??
someone already did it??
thanks a lot.
Sure can be a GP problem. Glow plugs last about 100,000km then a few will fail. The other way to start in cold weather with or without faulty GP's is to turn the ignition on but don't start the car until the GP light goes off. Do this about 3 times to build up the heat in the cylinders then on the forth go start it up.
You can go onto EBay and buy quality GP's very cheaply but they are a pain to get to and you need to follow the instructions on changing eg. when the car is warm not hot or cold. Plus you'll need a long 8mm 3/8" drive socket.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i know that is hard to do it!! I hope i ll not make any damage. First i ll take out mine and i ll test it to see if they still became red.
But there is a way that the cold start is related somehow with my custom exhaust system?
Cause my jeep is diesel and i remove the dpf from it...

Btw witch one are the beat gp that i can buy? Thanks again

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Filo, I think the best glow plug will be original manufacture equipment (OME).
Would a block heater help? I am not familiar with diesel.

Ya i know that is hard to do it!! I hope i ll not make any damage. First i ll take out mine and i ll test it to see if they still became red.
But there is a way that the cold start is related somehow with my custom exhaust system?
Cause my jeep is diesel and i remove the dpf from it...

Btw witch one are the beat gp that i can buy? Thanks again

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Filo, I think the best glow plug will be original manufacture equipment (OME).
Would a block heater help? I am not familiar with diesel.
I guess it ll be too much a block heater cause i live in a climate that maximun ig going at 20 under zero (talking in celsius) but is very very rare a temperature so low.

I guess first i have to check the quality on mine GP.

To do that i guess i have to remove it and plug it to the battery and see if they became red.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you can get hold of a OBII scan tool or go to a dealer you simply plug in the OBII socket and it'll tell you which GP's are faulty. It won't be a faulty Heater and I doubt it'll be the removal of your exhaust DPF. I'm about to remove my own DPF and have already run the "Green Diesel" delete code as a trial and have had no issues because of disconnecting the DPF. Be warned you must upload a DPF delete code or you will have many issues.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you can get hold of a OBII scan tool or go to a dealer you simply plug in the OBII socket and it'll tell you which GP's are faulty. It won't be a faulty Heater and I doubt it'll be the removal of your exhaust DPF. I'm about to remove my own DPF and have already run the "Green Diesel" delete code as a trial and have had no issues because of disconnecting the DPF. Be warned you must upload a DPF delete code or you will have many issues.
wow i didnt know that. so i ll go to the dealer to make a diagnose.
But did you have the OBI scan? is is expensive to buy one?
thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
wow i didnt know that. so i ll go to the dealer to make a diagnose.
But did you have the OBI scan? is is expensive to buy one?
thanks
Sorry for the late reply but I've been away. A OBDII scan tool that reads Chrysler/Jeep codes can be very expensive. in the thousands of $. The cheap ones on Ebay just don't read the codes and only give you engine temps and oil pressure and Volts. Just the basic stuff and won't display error codes.
My Green Diesel performance program that re programs the ECU comes with a electronic programming device that reads the engines error codes and can clear them. It won't do all code reading such as transfer cases and auto trans just the engine stuff which includes glow plugs.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry but even the cheap one from
Ebay( 16 dollars) if you pair it with mac or ipad you ca n read error code and clear them....
I bought one and i test it on ipad using dash command and i can see an error code.
For sure i can even see the temp of the air, the rpm, the speed and a lot of other datas.
What i cant do is write on the module and set info like the auto door lock or other stuff.
Btw i don't have code about the glow plug so maybe is better to test it manually opening it up to test if they became red...
But they told me is a very long job to do.. True?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts