Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Can someone explain me how can I disassemble the wheel. More preciously, I can't find a hole or something to unscrew the #1 on the picture attached.

Any videos on the Internet begin from a state where this part is already dismounted.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, thanks! Should pump up my searching skills.

I am trying to change the wheel-bezel. Mine got cracked during a road-rage attack :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
I tried to follow the picture but with no luck. That's how my wheel looks from behind.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPkmhkhfNOxKJPS6mDV-6XwqNwYUbxqdSPr9BEX

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPb1l7LXyN_oGspIyuG1xkdfYk0jhn7yIcn6TaR

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNjLg6Q-8OUJD191fROI0taGPZ_2S8JcGz5-E06

I took off both the bottom and top covers of the column, but can't see any traces of bolt or something. Seems, mine differs from the wheel that on the above picture.
I can't see any of your pics.

Your profile says you are in Moscow - Russia I'm assuming?

If that's the case, my only guess would be that your Commander is probably built to different specs than here in the U.S.

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
Isn't it the same as our trucks?

I know there is a guy on YouTube that takes one off in a matter of a few minutes. See if this helps.

Well, ****... I can't find the video now.
I hate it when that happens.....

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I just replaced the rear bezel on the steering wheel of a 2015 Jeep Compass, the steering wheels are very similar. The only real difference I can see is where the openings of the rear of the steering wheel are to access the nuts to remove the airbag.

The plastic bezel, airbag and other items snap together on the steering wheel.

At the very least you will need to remove the airbag.

If the bezel you're replacing is on the front of the steering wheel, you may be able to do it just by removing the airbag.

If the bezel you're replacing is on the back of the steering wheel, you will need to remove the entire steering wheel from the shaft to replace it.

The airbag is held on to the steering wheel with two bolts that are access by the back of the steering wheel, in the photos above look to be some openings you can fit a socket into to remove the bolts. Make sure the battery has been disconnected for 30 minutes before removing the airbag.

Once the airbag is off, you can remove the screws holding the bezel to the steering wheel and snap the two halves of the bezel apart to remove the front bezel.

If you need to remove the rear bezel, you'll have to loosen the center nut holding the steering wheel to the shaft. Disconnect the electrical connector to the clockspring, and move the wires out of the way. Usually it has a ton of loctite on the threads, so you'll need a 2ft breaker bar to brake the nut free, once it starts to turn a normal socket wrench will back it the rest of the way out. Then you'll need a steering wheel puller (the type with the flat face "J" hooks) to pull the wheel off the shaft (its an interference fit). Make sure to remove the steering wheel carefully, threading the wire connectors for the airbag and clock spring through the openings so as not to damage them.

Once the steering wheel is fully off, you can remove the rear part of the bezel.

Reassemble in reverse order.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem is that I can't find any openings at the rear side to unscrew the bolts. There are neither bolt heads nor nuts in sight. If I could see them I would definitely unscrew them. And thanks for reminder about the airbags and the battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts