Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to posting the install pics for the Front Tow Hooks. It took all of an hour total from start to finish.

Start with removing the front fascia (see sticky thread: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5725)

With the fascia removed, you can see the covers on both driver and passenger side that need to be removed to gain access to the inside of the frame (only showing pics for driver side):

Removing the one bolt in this cover reveals the pre-drilled holes in the frame for the mounting bolts:

There are two bolts on one mounting plate and a single bolt on a second mounting plate for each hook. Here's what it looks like with both sets of mounting bolts in place:

Once the mounting plates and bolts are in, it's just a matter of holding the hook in place, and threading the lock nuts on each bolt - 3 per hook (be sure to torque these to specs - 50 ft. lb.):

Here's the finished product (including helpers!):

And the instructions included with the hooks:

I was able to snag the Mopar hooks for a reasonable cost on ebay, and they went in like a breeze. Since I recently bought a canoe, these make it very easy to strap down the front end of the vessel confidently (not to mention that I need to get a good tow strap, or two, for when I am finally able to take the Jeep off road where she belongs!). This is my first "How To" post, so let me know what questions you have. Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
nice work..looks great
thank you for sharing those pictures

·
Registered
32 Posts
alright i have a question. my limited '06 commander didnt come with front tow hooks. ive been researching mopar oem front recovery hooks online but they say they can only support roughly 5,500lbs when the commander weighs like 6,000. are the hooks able to support the stress of getting pulled out of the mud?

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
alright i have a question. my limited '06 commander didnt come with front tow hooks. ive been researching mopar oem front recovery hooks online but they say they can only support roughly 5,500lbs when the commander weighs like 6,000. are the hooks able to support the stress of getting pulled out of the mud?
Yes, I have been pulled out of mud by my front tow hooks with no problem. Plenty of other members here have also been pulled by their front tow hooks without any problems. But if you have it overloaded they may not hold. Here are the vehicle weights for the different Commander models:

gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) = the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer that is loaded, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

base curb weight (BCW) = the weight of the vehicle including standard equipment, oil, lubricants and a full tank of fuel. Does not include optional contents or other optional equipment, the weight of driver, passengers or cargo.

All weights in below table are in pounds (lbs).

Commander Sport 4X2
GVWR = 6200
BCW = 4649

Commander Sport 4X4
GVWR = 6400
BCW = 4826

Commander Limited 4X2
GVWR = 6300
BCW = 4936

Commander Limited 4X4
GVWR = 6500
BCW = 5119

Commander Overland 4X2
GVWR = 6300
BCW = 5055

Commander Overland 4X4
GVWR = 6500
BCW = 5239

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, I have been pulled out of mud by my front tow hooks with no problem. Plenty of other members here have also been pulled by their front tow hooks without any problems. But if you have it overloaded they may not hold. Here are the vehicle weights for the different Commander models:...
thanks for the information

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hook rating

I seemed to remember that each tow hook is rated at 1.5 times vehicle weight and the standard loops at .5 vehicle weight so I looked.

Jeep Commander Tow Hook - Front

Black, front, rated at 1.5 times GVW, set of 2.
View installation instructions: here.

Model(s): Jeep Commander
Model Year(s): 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010
Part Number(s): 82208987

http://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-commander-hook-front-p-631.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those outside to US with Diesel motors, you can not use these without modifying to mounting points on the Commander due to interference with the tow hook and the intercooler. I had to move mine outboard about another 2" to clear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts