Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since everyone keeps killing there cars with HIDs I though id make a How-to, Ive done all my cars this way and never once had a problem.
Feel free to add as Im sure i left something out. I know its not the best how-to but it being 20 degrees out its all I had lol

Needed:
1 HID 9006 Kit (I used VVME because they have been the best price and built)
1 9006 Relay kit
10mm socket and wrench
Wire cutters

-I like to cut off the extra harness. Since we are using the relay you will not need this and it will just get in the way.

-If you have the covers remove them to access the headlight bulbs.(Repeat for pass side)

-Unclip the wire harness and twist bulb out. (Repeat for pass side)

-Remove HID bulb from plastic case and slowly install in headlight. Secure by twisting clockwise. (Repeat for pass side)

-Find a place to mount ballast. I mounted my just below headlight. (Repeat for pass side)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
-Now time to install relay harness. You will have a + lead that will goto battery + and a - lead that I grounded to the side on existing ground.

-Take the original wiring harness for the drivers side headlight and plug into the relay plug. This will trigger the relay when headlights are turned on. (Pass side OE harness will stay unused.)

-You now have two plugs left on the relay harness one goes to pass ballast other to drivers. (Pay attention to the pic as it shows the correct way to insert the plug.)

-Now take the Red and Blue wires coming from the HID bulb and plug into wires coming from ballast. (Repeat for pass side)

-Now your system should fire when headlight switch is turned on. Doing it this way will prevent flickering and frying your OE wires do to overloading the system.

For anyone wondering. I have LED 9005 Hyper White fogs. They are suppose to look like 6000k HIDs but look more like 8000k

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice, thx for taking the time to write this up .....

Any chance of a direct link for buying the you bought for the headlights and fogs, or possibly part numbers for everything needed? Did you do the high beams too?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Nice! We deffinately need a source link.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What about beam pattern and adjustment? Does this HID kit throw the same beam pattern from the stock reflector? Do you need to adjust the headlamp height after install?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about beam pattern and adjustment? Does this HID kit throw the same beam pattern from the stock reflector? Do you need to adjust the headlamp height after install?
Ill get pics tonight for you. I didnt have to adjust, they were same height cutoff line.

Here is the kit I bought. I did not do the high beam as I dont think i will ever need it.

http://www.vvme.com/relay-harness-9006hb4-hid-conversion-kit-p-254.html?cPath=44_45_31

They have great customer service and warrenty program. Ive owned 4 sets from them myself and all my friends use them after seeing my kits.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always do 6000k on mine. They are very white with a slight tint of blue. The higher the K you go the less light output. 4300k is the brightest ive seen but more yellowish. 6000k is a good medium.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Ill get pics tonight for you. I didnt have to adjust, they were same height cutoff line.
At least you checked, people installing these and NOT checking or adjusting are the reason why retro-fitting HID's is illegal.

I looked at some DOT tests, at least the couple I looked at, the tests with the generic square and round "sealed beam form factor" head lamps were the ones that the beam didn't shape properly and low beams projected at the same height as high beams and were far brighter than high beams. (NOT actual sealed beams, head lamp assemblies that accepted 9006/9004 bulbs but could be installed in the mounts for the corresponding sealed beam)

The one test with actual modern headlamp assemblies, off a chevy lumina, where they have well designed relectors and lenses, the cut off with the HID retro-fit kit was the same as incadecent bulbs.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I always do 6000k on mine. They are very white with a slight tint of blue. The higher the K you go the less light output. 4300k is the brightest ive seen but more yellowish. 6000k is a good medium.
Good info, so the lower the "K" reading the brighter the light output is? Just making sure that's what you are saying......(HID Noob here).

·
Registered
76 Posts
So the hids are 9006 just like the sylvania silverstars .... so do you think the 9005 hids would work in the fog lights like how the 9005 sylvania do? Im a dummy to this stuff. :)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
So the hids are 9006 just like the sylvania silverstars .... so do you think the 9005 hids would work in the fog lights like how the 9005 sylvania do? Im a dummy to this stuff. :)
Since the fog lamps have simplier reflectors NOT designed for HID's, I'm guessing they would be more like the tests I saw with "Sealed Beam Style" headlamp assemblies. They look a lot like Sealed Beam Style don't they?

Read my post above, my guess, based on the tests I saw on Daniel Stern Lighting, it would turn your fog lamps into Hi-Beams at double brightness, NOT exactly fair to all the on-coming drivers in smaller lower cars than your Commander, huh?

If my guess turns out to be true, that would make you the classic example of why retro-fitting HID's is illegal, BUT I'm only guessing, you'd have to spend all the money on the kits yourself and then test and adjust them to find out if you shouldn't use them for the fog lights OR NOT.
IamJEEP said:
Good info, so the lower the "K" reading the brighter the light output is? Just making sure that's what you are saying......(HID Noob here).
That makes a lot of sense to me, its like the electrical power relationaship, if you have to keep the power at the same level, the higher the voltage, the lower the amps.

You drive all the bulbs at the same electric power, the higher the color temperature, the less the available useable light.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
What would be the difference between going this route, just changing bulb type and using the existing housing, compared to replacing the existing housing with one that incorporates a projector housing? Besides the cost factor, what are the pros and cons for each of these solutions? :icon_confused: Thank you. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
76 Posts
it would turn your fog lamps into Hi-Beams at double brightness, NOT exactly fair to all the on-coming drivers in smaller lower cars than your Commander, huh?

If my guess turns out to be true, that would make you the classic example of why retro-fitting HID's is illegal, BUT I'm only guessing, you'd have to spend all the money on the kits yourself and then test and adjust them to find out if you shouldn't use them for the fog lights OR NOT.
Well no, I wouldnt be the classic example, considering I only use my fogs for off road conditions ....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts