Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Is this fix someone of NO experience should attempt, or should I just eat the $$ (not at the dealer, they piss me off) at my mechanics? I have had nav system screen blank for about 2 months straight (after intermittent lighting) and I can't get the mode to change (from say, am/fm to CD). Now, my 06 Hemi won't start (for a few times, I could jiggle key in ignition and then it would start) at all, just that click.
No, it looks pretty simple to do, sure the pictures look a bit scary.

I'm NOT sure why he pulled the upper dash cover (the part with the air vents in it, that goes around the instrument cluster) it appears he didn't need to do that. He could have gotten it out just pulling the cover immediately around the ignition key hole and dropping the panel underneath to pull it out.

Of course, if you have never, ever taken anything apart in your whole life, never used a screw driver, who knows, you may NOT have any talent for it all and can't do this. But even a beginner that has taken a few things apart before, should be able to do this.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Theupper dash cover was removed in order to access a torx screw that is in the top of the ignition retaining it. The screw does not need to be completely removed because it rides in a slot on the dash.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Just a note, since there is so much confusion with the ignition switch recall.

The recall is NOT for this problem.

I have had to replace the ignition switch on my '91 Dodge Caravan and '95 Jeep Cherokee. They can fail just like any other part in the vehicle, and need to be replaced as normal wear and repair like any other part in the vehicle.

Of course it could cause stalling or failure to start the vehicle, just like many other parts in the vehicle. Its a matter of if there is an actual flaw in the design or manufacture of the switch, or it occurs often enough that it could only mean there has to be a flaw. So, if the electrical failure in the switch was so common it had to be a flaw, and arguably effects safety, you "might" have an argument. But, if less than 1% of the ignition switches suffer this problem, that could account for more than a few posts we see on this forum, and still NOT be common enough to mean its a flaw. And those suffering stalling from failed sensors, a flaw in the PCM, overdue spark plug changes, etc is definitely NOT a flaw that the recall is for.

Chrysler has acknowledge there is a flaw in some 2006-2007 ignition switches that will allow it to move to easily to the "Off" position so easily it results in accidentally shutting off the motor while driving, from minor forces. The recall says nothing about stalling, nothing about electrical failures in the switch, etc. The part of the switch that holds it in the position that you turn it is different than the parts in the switch that can fail and cause the problems the original poster is fixing his Commander for.

Ok sure, if you have this problem and you've also got a recall notice, maybe the part they replace will also replace the part you're having a problem with, maybe NOT. If your having a stalling your problem you need to properly diagnose it and fix it. According to the recall, it should be pretty obvious if the recall is your problem, cause you would be noticing your stalling is caused by the ignition switch unintended moving to the off position while your driving. If its NOT doing that, then the cause is for another reason other than the recall.

There is another recent thread about the number of coils in Commander engines. In that thread there are multiple people posting they are past due on changing their spark plugs by as much as three times over the recommended change interval. What do you think might be the problem in at least some of these stalling cases? Is it really a flaw that is the responsibility of Chrysler? Some may be, but definitely NOT all are the result of the flaw identified in the ignition switch in the recall.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Theupper dash cover was removed in order to access a torx screw that is in the top of the ignition retaining it. The screw does not need to be completely removed because it rides in a slot on the dash.
Ah, the disadvantage of being the first one, you have to learn the lessons to teach the others. So you can get away without removing the upper dash? You might have mentioned that and I missed it, if so, sorry in advance.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Ah, the disadvantage of being the first one, you have to learn the lessons to teach the others. So you can get away without removing the upper dash? You might have mentioned that and I missed it, if so, sorry in advance.
The upper dash needs to be removed in order to loosen the screw, that particular screw does not however need to be completely removed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks everyone for the detailed write up. I have symptoms this week and was able to putprchase the part locally using an online coupon for $32. It is easier to remove the harness before removing the entire assembly. It did I take some creativity to wedge the ignition out of the area. Thanks everyone for saving me a few hundred dollars and 3 days of downtime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks different under the knee pad

My 4.7 L 2006 base model had a plastic trim secured with security torx screws preventing access to remove the switch. I thought I was stumped but then an Internet searched showed how to use a small flat head screwdriver to remove the security torx screws and everything else worked fine. Flashing dashboard lights and blower fan have not returned so far........thank you Eric S for a really clear and detailed post.

·
Administrator
15,438 Posts

·
Administrator
15,438 Posts
Brand new battery. I throw the old one back in and it fires right up. I'm getting the flickering dash lights, which is why I'm swapping
Sounds like the new battery is under powered for the XK.

Reactions: gtonram

·
Administrator
15,438 Posts
Flickering dash lights could be the light stalk (turn signal, etc.) It is easy to put a new one in.

·
Administrator
15,438 Posts
Sorry I mean I throw the old ignition switch back in and it starts right up.
Oh! LOL! Well then, it sounds like your new switch might be bad. Are you sure you hooked it up correctly?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts