Jeep Commander Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
15,438 Posts
I hook it up exactly like the old one. It might be bad then. Just curious if any kind of reprogramming needed done
If you got new keys they have to be programmed.

Reactions: gtonram

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Commander (XH) 3.0CRD
43 Posts
Apologies for dragging up this old thread. I am about to remove my Ignition barrel/switch. I have had the switch recall done, but both pre and post the recall, I still have door chimes when the key is not in the ignition (which disables the central locking). I bought and stripped a lock from a yard to see if it's obvious how the car knows that the key is inserted or not, and it's not! Given that there is no mechnical or electrical detection in the barrel itself, how is the key detected (more so, when it isn't inserted!). Is it a function of the transponder chip, skreem unit or switch?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks. I can see that the SKREEM unit ring is the antenna to match the key transponder chip with the car. However, I'm not at all convinced that the antenna has anything to do with the key in/out detection. Having trawled many, many threads about the 'key out' chimes, some have stripped, cleaned, greased and got it working. After all, if the SKREEM antenna was responsible for key insertion detection, you should be able to place the key fob adjacent to the antenna and the chimes should stop. I'm sure they don't (if someone wants to confirm that?)

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
696 Posts
in that video, the "key" portion was loose from the "switch" portion. as he is taking it apart, the chime is going on because a screw is missing holding the two together... wondering if that is your issue. when they swapped it, perhaps they left that screw out...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks again. I watched that video earlier (during my trawl). What was strange, with the switch disconnected from the barrel, was that the door chimes were going (with the key removed), then suddenly stopped. There was no dialogue as to what caused it to stop. That also suggests that the SKREEM antenna isn't involved in the key detection mechanism. So, I'm no nearer finding a cause.

P.S. The switch on mine is firmly attached to the rest of the ignition barrel. I plan to use parts from the spare ignition I have to see if it sheds any more light on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks again. I watched that video earlier (during my trawl). What was strange, with the switch disconnected from the barrel, was that the door chimes were going (with the key removed), then suddenly stopped. There was no dialogue as to what caused it to stop. That also suggests that the SKREEM antenna isn't involved in the key detection mechanism. So, I'm no nearer finding a cause.

P.S. The switch on mine is firmly attached to the rest of the ignition barrel. I plan to use parts from the spare ignition I have to see if it sheds any more light on it.
I guess that this raises a further question, can I replace the SKREEM unit and matched key and have the car run?

·
Registered
2007 Commander Overland 2WD 5.7L Hemi
9 Posts
After removing the screws you pull the fascia straight forward to release the spring clips holding it on.

The socket head screws that were removed from the dash fascia screw into metal clips that are inserted into the dash. I had a few that fell out in the removal process so make sure that you find them an reinsert the clips into their slots.

Note the slot on the left is missing a clip.

The dash was removed in order to access this torx screw that is in the top of the ignition. It does not need to be completely removed because it rides in a slot on the dash. Loosen it a couple of turns and the switch should be free.

Pop the lower knee panel down under the steering column.

Now remove the switch assembly out through the bottom. Be careful not to kink the cable and wiring.

Disconnect the wire connector from the ignition switch.
In the photo the red locking clip is first pushed to the left. Then the black push tab on the wiring connector is pushed and held down in order to pull it off the switch.

We had the same issue a couple years ago - turns out there is a Chrysler/Jeep recall on the ignition switch - our dealer advised us and it was replace free of charge.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts