Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I got my Tire Carrier by FedEx from Ross.
Here are the pictures and description of the installation and finished appearance of the Tire Carrier. I am very happy and satisfied with the product. It is very well attached and has no wiggle or movement. I still have the use of my backup camera and I can even open the rear window without moving the tire. The powder coating looks great and should hold up better than paint.

The first picture is of the package when the guys at the tire shop were unpacking it.

The lower part of the carrier test fit in the receiver hitch:

Hardware:

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first two pictures show the space that is now available for a second gas tank:

The two holes in the frame will need to be enlarged to 1/2 inch and drilled thru the frame to allow the use of the bolt, washer, and nut that will secure the support brace on each side:

The spare tire was a surprise. It is painted black and is on of the five spoke wheels instead of the six spoke chrome. Maybe they ran out of the correct spares or maybe lots of us have black spares and do not know it. The tire to the left is the new spare and matches the size of my other four.

The four holes being drilled:

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two holes in the frame that were drilled out larger to 1/2 inch on both sides :

The drivers side support in place. The two bolts connect it to the frame and the one bolt in the back connect it to the tire carrier. With both supports in place there is no movement of the carrier at all, even with a 32 inch tire mounted:

The right, (passenger side) support hanging before we connected it:

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right side support connected:

Upper part of tire carrier attached. The hinge is very stable and has large brass bushings and is greasable with a zerk fitting. It operates very smoothly and has no give or sag as you open it. The fit is very well machined and has no slop or wiggle.

32 inch tire mounted. The rear window will open and clears the tire. We had to use three wheel spacers simlilar to a spydertrax spacer to move the wheel away from the carrier about 1/2 inch to allow the full rear door to open upward without hitting the tire when the carrier was in the 90 degree open position.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can see the rear view camera on the left side of the license plate mount.

The rear view camera is still functional:

The view looking into the rear view mirror:

The Carrier at the car wash after installation. I stopped by an auto parts store to get a tire cover in plain black to cover the tire. I will put it on tomorrow as the light was fading in this shot.

Overall I am very happy with the Tire Carrier and do recommend it especially if you want to add a second gas tank in the current spare tire location.

That project will be next week or the week after if I have to travel for the company.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Looks great. Can you post a pic of the backup camera view?

BTW, my spare is the plain black also.

·
Administrator
15,241 Posts
That's strange that you guys have a black spare wheel. Mine is the matching chrome.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks, The post above has a picture of the backup camera view thru the monitor.

The carrier adds about 6 or 7 inches behind the rear bumper. It is just the right amount to allow the rear window to open up without swinging the tire carrier out.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks for taking time to post the pictures! It looks very nice! What kind of spare tire do you have there? My spare came with the matching crome.....

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think that it is the sport model wheel that has been spray painted black at the factory. If you look at the back of the wheel you can see where the black paint came thru as overspray.

I also want to mention that I did not get any TPMS alarm on the the tire mounted on the carrier instead of under the rear end. Maybe I will let the air out to see if the alarm still works for the spare.

I will also find out tomorrow if my bike carrier will clear the tire when mounted to the second receiver hitch and if the bike will fit on the bike carrier.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Very nice Huey! BTW I have the black rim also.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They must have done that in 2007 for some reason. Maybe to save money or due to a shortage of the Chrome Limited wheels

·
Registered
177 Posts
You think Ross can make the tire carrier hug the body a bit more? i know i should ask him but since you looked at your for a good wile (I know i would) you might have an idea, my WK has a rounder rear so the tire might just stick far out and make the Jeep look goofy, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Looks great, I may have to get in line if there are no plans for a complete bumper replacement.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am sure that Ross can do whatever you want. Mine might be a little to far to the right, but it is because of the large tire and the fact that I wanted to retain the use of the camera. i may have to do something about the right tail lights. I think that if you move it closer to the rear window you might not be able to open it without swinging the tire carrier away

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i must say say, it looks damn good. i love the green color on your commander! the black goes with it perfectly.

glad it went on smoothly and easily. but that was the point of the design. i'm really glad the camera works. i had my doubts that i could get it over far enough and still make it work.

i think you have a black spare wheel because you have the chrome clad wheels. when you change the spare to one of the other wheels, you pop off the chrome cover and stick it on the spare. at least thats what the other dodge trucks do that have a similar design. the chrome clad wheel is pretty much just an expensive plastic hub cap.

thanks for your business once again Bill. I'm glad you sprung for the powder coat. it looks great!

now! go take some pictures off road somewhere so i can update the website.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Looks good there Huey and great job Get Lost!!!!!!!!!! Does it set off your back up sensors?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Looks good there Huey and great job Get Lost!!!!!!!!!! Does it set off your back up sensors?

I would have to say Yes on this one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts