Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Fellow Commander owners,
Just wanted to share my OEM hitch installation pic's.
I own a Limited JC and it came with out a tow hitch GRRRR… So I went online and got one with the bezel for about 200.00 to my door. Installation time was bout 1 1/2 give or take. The bezel kit came with plastic rivets which on the limited you only use 2 of them.
Well let me start posting the pic's and explain what steps I did. I also have scanned the instructions (PDF format) that came with the hitch and bezel. (Instructions! we don’t need no sinking instructions) LOL.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: OEM hitch install w/pic's

Let me see if I can post the first Pic for y'all...
first you have to remove about 12 plastic (reusable) rivets. Then slide the bumper mask straight back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

this is what the back end of the commander looks like naked..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

then you tape down the template that comes with the bezel, this way you know where to drill (1/8 bit) holes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

remove the template and tape up the area that you are going to cut. I used a jigsaw at slow speed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

next pop the bezel in after you cut out the holes you drilled out. Use the clips that came with the bezel to hold it in place.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

install the backing of the bumper mask back on. There are two clips holding that in place to the bumper mask.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Now all you have to do is install the hitch with the 4 bolts it comes with. (115 lbs)
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o62/lanshark17/hitch/pic9.jpg

now just reinstall the bumper mask back to the way you took it off.

Well that’s all in a nut shell. I hope this helps those who got a commander with out a hitch. I also have the scan PDF sheets of the install instructions.
Now all im looking for is the wire kit that will fill that hole on the left of the hitch. So I any of you know where I can find the 7 pin round to 4 pin at a good price let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts

AWESOME! I am going to grab one of the many internet hitches available and do this too, can you give me more details? I have a dremel and/or rotozip that I think will make an easy clean cut. Where did you get your hitch/bezel?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3 Posts

Does anyone have pictures of an aftermarket hitch that sits just below the bumper? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the OEM hitch and cut the bumper and put the bezel or just put an aftermarket one just below the bumper, if it doesn't look like crap. I don't need the ground clearance because I'm not going to do any heavy off roading, this is just a "looks good" issue.

I've priced an aftermarket one at Alamo Auto Supply (below the bumper) and the hitch, harness, labor and tax came up to $272.00, which didn't sound too bad.

PLEASE, I NEED PICTURES TO DECIDE!

THANKS!

·
Registered
109 Posts

Hi Lanshark,
Likewise considering putting on a tow hitch here in the UK as per the factory fit. Dealer wants £600 which is about $1200 dollars to supply and fit!! All it is I am confused when I look at say autotrucktoys website as to what it is I actually need. I guess what I'm saying is could you explain in simple language what I would need to order for the complete kit. I don't intend to tow anything as such, it is for a bike carrier that I have acquired. I will probably get the dealer to install it but feel I could get quite a good deal at the moment importing it. Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Hey man great pics and instructions. I am about to do that also so it is a big help. Can you tell me the specs as far as tongue weight and towing capacity.

Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts

thanks I was considering getting one put on after someone hit my rear bumper. I want the added protection of having a hitch, so if someone hits me while parking it will do more damage to their car. It looks pretty easy and not to expensive. Did you put a wireing harness on for brake lights on a trailer? thanks again great info

·
Registered
14 Posts

Lanshark,

DYI for us to follow I certainly need to add one to mine. How did you remove the plastic rivets and where are they located? Is the wiring straight forward?

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
396 Posts

Nice job with the install!

·
Registered
147 Posts

Is that all there is to that hitch? I thought it was a much bigger piece that attached to the frame rails/underside of unibody.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts

You dont want the after market hitch, if you do please let me know. I will sell you mine. I cant send pics for a few days but its engineered poorly and mounts bad, its ugly BUT it does work. I have purchased the OEM hitch and plan to swap them out next week. -mike

1 - 20 of 118 Posts