Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Adamag25 and I got together this weekend to work on this project. For those who didn't read my other thread when I was researching ideas, the purpose of rear foglights is to improve your visability to other drivers behind you under tough weather onditions such as dense fog or heavy snow (whiteout) conditions. Rear foglights are always red and have approximately the same intensity as brake lights. My original idea is based on European standards for automotive lighting (I think those guys know what they're doing!). In fact the European spec XK (the XH) has rear foglights built into the rear bumper from the factory.

I started off, in advance, by making up templates to mark off the holes that were going to be cut. I traced out the back of the rubber grommet onto some cardboard, rough cut out the middle, and then trimmed out a little at a time until the grommet would fit in the template with the light installed. One thing to keep in mind is that the grommet needs room to stretch when installing the light.

Place some tape over the area of the bumper where your lights will go so you have a nice area to draw an outine.

Measure where you want to place your lights. We were measuring over from the park assist sensors to give an even "European spec" look to the install. Keep in mind that the European lights are moulded into the bumper, while we offset the lights a bit more to account for the width of the grommet.

next post.....

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
rear fog light install continued

Use the template to draw your outline.

Pull out your Dremel and start cutting!

next post...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Make sure your rough trim is short of the line. You then go back and can do some fine tuning.

Test fit along the way.

Pop 'em in! A great tip is to use some WD-40 on the grommets so the lights slip in easier. Remember, only the grommets are holding those lights in place, so you want a tight fit!

Here's a shot of one of mine from behind the bumper.

next post....

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Since we were using trailer lights for this project, they have 3 wires on the harness: position, brake, and ground. We only used the brake and ground wires for the install. As far as wiring is concerned, everyone's setup may be different. While adamag25 simply hooked his rear lights into his aftermarket front foglights, his hookup was simple. I wanted to have a separate switch to turn on the rears. The basic idea is illustrated in the diagram below.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that this diagram is just a guide. LED lights draw MUCH less amperage than regular bulbs used in driving lights. My lights draw 0.3 amps each, so a total of 0.6 amps. I am using a 1 amp fuse in my setup. You need to do your own research as to what thickness wires and what size fuse to use.

I ran my wiring in a split loom along the centerline of the gas tank with plenty of zip ties. There's an OEM harness that runs from under the Jeep to the left side of the engine compartment that I followed. If you have the Hemi, be careful because an exhaust pipe runs VERY close there. You might want to get some heat protective tape for that section. I wish I had it. It would provide some extra piece of mind. We don't have pictures of runnng the wiring since these are tight quarters down there, and it would be tough to make heads-or-tails of them anyway.

For my switch install, I will let adamag25 post those pics since he took them with his camera.

That's it!

adamag25

lekmedm - the lights are really pretty bright but the camera overcompensates when taking the pic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow. Looks great. Very clean install, and very factory looking.

You state that the LED's are essentially a tight slip in fit. One question for you though :
Do you plan on rigging/making any form of retainer on the back of the lights/bumper to ensure the lights cannot move or slip out of the opening, or are you 100% sure they will never move/back out/fall out?

Jack

·
Registered
887 Posts
Very nice mod!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Looks great. Very clean install, and very factory looking.

You state that the LED's are essentially a tight slip in fit. One question for you though :
Do you plan on rigging/making any form of retainer on the back of the lights/bumper to ensure the lights cannot move or slip out of the opening, or are you 100% sure they will never move/back out/fall out?

Jack
Thanks for the compliments!

I'm sure that they won't fall out, even on rough roads that'll sooner shake the fillings out of your teeth. ;) You'd have to push/kick them pretty hard to knock them out.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
5 Thumbs up for this thread Adamag and lekmedm
Great thread!! Anxious to do mine....can you guys come over?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Nice mod! ... I'm confident this will improve foggy and other poor weather driving safety!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your good words, everyone.

I'd be happy to tour the country to do installs, but I think my fee would end up being just a tad restrictive. ;)

Here is a pic of the switch mounted (and lit).

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's more on the switch install...

There are these little guide thingies behind the panel where I wanted to put my switch.

So it got trimmed off.

Templates, templates, templates....

Drill, drill, drill...

Dremel, Dremel, dremel...

Next post....

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Behind the dash...

Opened up that hole for the switch to fit.

That plug in the middle of the picture is where I ran the wires through. The throttle cable would normally be there, but not with the drive-by-wire Hemi.

I think that's most of the pics!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Very nicely done! 5 thumbs up!

Quick question... Can it be series also to the park light? So that it will turn on automatically when the headlight is on... that way I don't have to make a switch. Thank you!

·
2,248 Posts
Lekmedm,

Good job. They do fit nicely in the stock rear bumper. I had a problem with seeing my right tail light and right turn signal with the new tire carrier so I added a set of lights up high in the rear hatch. Here is the link so that I do not hijack your install thread.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8164

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Very nicely done! 5 thumbs up!

Quick question... Can it be series also to the park light? So that it will turn on automatically when the headlight is on... that way I don't have to make a switch. Thank you!
I connected mine directly into my existing front fog light wires but you could also connect them directly in to the tail light wires if you would like to. They are LED so they have a very low amount of draw on the system and you can just splice them in.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I connected mine directly into my existing front fog light wires but you could also connect them directly in to the tail light wires if you would like to. They are LED so they have a very low amount of draw on the system and you can just splice them in.

Thanks for the info!
What do you call those lights again? Any good place/web site you recommend to buy them?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I have noticed that most auto parts stores have started to carry them in both the red lenses and clear lenses with red LED. I purchased mine from Ebay for a great price. I think they are called grommet mounted lights

1 - 20 of 53 Posts