Jeep Commander Forum banner

How to pull a seized Hemi?

7K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Sevenjays 
#1 ·
I picked up a 2006 Hemi Commander QDII with a "bad" engine. I'm in the process of trying to pull the engine, have everything off the top and front except the main pulley. Starter removed and 1 bolt out of the torque converter. I can't rotate the engine to get to the rest of the converter bolts.

There was coolant in the combustion chambers and oil I'm assuming for a few months. I've sprayed PB Blaster and Seafoam Deep Creep into the cylinders but it still won't budge. I then poured Marvel Mystery Oil in each of the cylinders. I did notice the penetrant oil is draining through the engine and out the oil drain plug.

I'm out of town for the week but am open to any ideas to try when I'm home this weekend.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Bought a motorcycle once that had seized pistons. Ended up using the 2" dowel and a 5lb dead blow hammer. Knocked hard on each piston in succession a few times. That was only a 750cc four cylinder though.

#3 ·
Not a bad idea...I doubt you'd get the crank to turn by banging on 1 piston at a time, but at least knocking each one really good might free them up enough to the turn the crank.

SevenJays - I'm assuming you're trying to turn the crank via the main front pulley? Get a bigger break-over bar? :grin2: Have you pulled the heads? getting the extra force of the valve train off the cam, and through that to the crank might help. It'd also give you better access to the pistons for beating on them. At the very least maybe pull the valve covers and take off the rocker arms, this will take the pressure off the pushrods and lifters.

#6 ·
Pulling the heads will allow one to look at the cylinder walls for major corrosion damage. Lots of crud/rust could be a problem. If you have this issue, some pistons might not be able to go upwards.

#9 ·
I talked to ProEngines who I'm getting the engine from and they said I shouldn't have a problem pulling it with the torque converter. Then just replace the seal on torque converter and reinstall it on the transmission.

I'll update on how it goes.

Reactions: Wombler
#10 ·
Got the engine out with the torque converter attached. Contrary to many opinions, I didn't lose any fluid out of the converter. I'm not sure what to think about that. But at any rate the engine is out and the torque converter removed. I'm going to pick up a new seal and reinstall the torque converter on the transmission.

Then press on with the engine change.

#11 ·
I think I scraped the splines a little during the removal. I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture.

#12 ·
So I finally got the reman engine installed and running. Ended up with almost all the sensors replaced, new catalytic converters, new throttle body, new dorman intake, new radiator, new starter, new water pump, new battery, new headlights, new fog lights, 2” Rough Country lift, 1.25” ECCP spacers, Pirelli Scorpion AT+ 265/70R17 tires and a TrIl Dash 2.
Next up is service the entire drive train with AMSOIL products that just arrived today. Also changed the RH front half shaft and need to change that wheel speed sensor as well.
The nag radio is blank but does turn on. Stuck on AM with only what is in the preselects as station options. I think I’m going Pioneer MVH1400 NEX with the Idatalink as a replacement.
I’ll basically have a better than new Commander at that point! I have to total it up again but I’m at about $7,000 at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 ·
So I finally got the reman engine installed and running. Ended up with almost all the sensors replaced, new catalytic converters, new throttle body, new dorman intake, new radiator, new starter, new water pump, new battery, new headlights, new fog lights, 2” Rough Country lift, 1.25” ECCP spacers, Pirelli Scorpion AT+ 265/70R17 tires and a TrIl Dash 2.
Next up is service the entire drive train with AMSOIL products that just arrived today. Also changed the RH front half shaft and need to change that wheel speed sensor as well.
The nag radio is blank but does turn on. Stuck on AM with only what is in the preselects as station options. I think I’m going Pioneer MVH1400 NEX with the Idatalink as a replacement.
I’ll basically have a better than new Commander at that point! I have to total it up again but I’m at about $7,000 at this point.

Congrats on getting her all back together & running again @Sevenjays, that sounds like it was a monumental task;

But, you essentially have a brand new SUV for $7,000; How can you beat that??

Thanks for sharing the information - and the pics.

#17 ·
Torque converter FTW. !

Good job, and Good luck !

How bad is access to the upper trans housing bolts?

They are a pain, but with the intake off you can get to them. A stubby gear wrench helps a lot. I also had the hood off and pulled the wiring harness up as much as I could.

#19 ·
I don't think I could have reached the top ones from below. The drivers side center bolt took a couple of extensions with a universal in the middle and a swival socket. Did that from below.

I got faster after a few times!

#21 ·
Your Commander looks great! I will be attempting something very much like this with a 3.7 replacement.

Any advice?

I took it slow and studied everything while taking it apart. For the 5.7, pull the front drive shaft to get at the starter and exhaust bolts. I think it’s worth pulling the bumper, grill, and headlights to spare them from damage and give much better access. I cover the fenders with cheap moving blankets to protect them.
My MO is to remove more stuff for access rather than fight and struggle with reaching things. I think it saves me time and knuckles in the end.
Replace as many sensors and parts as you can afford to while you have access. Motor mounts, hoses, belts etc. I also replaced the starter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Big Blue
#22 ·
I had to pull the engine with the torque converter attached. Since motor would not turn over because of it being froze up. You will have to loosen things along the way to get them to separate. I jacked up the front of transmission to get it to the same angle as the engine coming out. Good Luck

#23 ·
I did exactly as you did with no ill effects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.