Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there figure out how to pivot the rear windshield wiper blade?

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out these type of things but I don't want to break it.

The issue is, that when I try to lift the arm, the rear wiper only swings up off the window about 1/2-inch.

It's difficult to even wash under it because I can't lift it up.

Thanks

Ibjibn

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: Rear Windshield Wiper

I just replaced all the blades this week. The rear wiper pulls off to the right. That would be a cleaning method, easy removal, better than the ¼ - ½" lift away from the body.

·
Registered
556 Posts

Jim Archer said:
I just replaced all the blades this week. The rear wiper pulls off to the right. That would be a cleaning method, easy removal, better than the ¼ - ½" lift away from the body.
So the blade itself slides off to the right, or the whole assembly? Been wondering my self, but never really spent time with it yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Pull the wiper arm about 1/2" towards the sky then you can hinge it out towards you. Works great for washing.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Jake06XK said:
Pull the wiper arm about 1/2" towards the sky then you can hinge it out towards you. Works great for washing.
So it does. There's a midpoint catch that engages when the thing's electrically off.

Bravo - just the blade itself is replaced. The method becomes obvious when you buy the new blade.

[The 18" Mopar front blades were $8.61 ea, the 13½" rear was $14.33. Go figure.]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changing Rear Wiper Blade

I have an 06 Commander and am changing the wiper blades. Got to the rear and it looks like an armadillo. How do you change the blade on the back?

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
You are welcome.

·
Registered
688 Posts
When you've got the blade housing pulled away from the window, you'll see two tabs on the underside about halfway down. Squeeze those and the end of the blade housing slides off with the wiper blade.

If you get the Trico 14C you'll take the blade out and discard the rest of it, I guess. Would be nice if someone had a 14 inche blade by itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a plain Trico 14" assembly, removed the wiper assy from the XK and the blade from the Trico piece. Cut about 1/2" off the Trico blade itself and slid it all in the keepers where I had removed the factory blade.

It's a stupid setup, but it can be overcome with enough determination.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I wasn't too happy with the Trico blade - didn't give a clean wipe. So I bought a 13" Bosch basic blade and removed it from the assembly. The main difference between the Bosch and the Trico is that the Bosch does not have the two metal stiffeners on each side that fall out and are such a PITA to deal with. Removing it from the Bosch assembly involves bending out two tabs in the end of the assembly and sliding the blade straight out. That means it slides right into the Jeep assembly the way an OEM blade would.

It has worked flawlessly so far. And I have had a lot of rain to test it with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts