Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got 17" OEM 6 spoke chrome jeep rims off of Ebay for my commander. Now I know once that they are installed to drive it over 35mph and the computer should read them, but do the sensors them selfs come off by twisting them off or are they screwed in. I got a place where they said they can remove the tires off my alloys and put them on my chorme rims and balance them for $40 bucks but they need to know how the sensors come off. Ive done business with this shop almost 20yrs. They said they havent done any work on a commander yet so that's why they want to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,788 Posts
Don't know, but the tire shop that changed my rims for me took them off and installed them with no problem. Should almost be the same way as taking off a valve stem, but probably screwed on from the inside. The computer was reading them right after the install. Didn't even have to leave the tire shop and it was already reading them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well being we are talking bout wheels. Does anyone know of a website I can go to get tire sizes that would fit a 15x8 rim and 15x7 rim. These are for my 68 charger
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,959 Posts
HEMI Commander. FYI

Originally posted by SF JEEP on 07-13-2007:

For those of you that are planning to get new tires for your chrome clad wheels be aware that the shop should balance the tire from the inside of the wheel meaning they should use an adapter from the inside and have the adapter on the wheel and not on the chrome clad hole. The shop should not balance the tires on the chrome clad hole because it is not necessarily in the center of the wheel because the chrome clad is a "plastic" cover that goes over the wheel itself. That is why the shop should put the adapter from the inside and on the wheel.


Originally posted by Hoo-ah Hemi on 02-26-2007:

According to DC Commanders OEM " CHROME CLAD" Rims MUST be Balanced
on Hunter Brand "Road Force" Tire Balancer's. This was learned recently when had new set of "Goodyear Wrangler SA" AT's mounted at my local tire store.
Tire store used traditional Balancer and they ground off the snap ridge
that holds Center Cap & failed to balance.
RoadForce balance goes for $25.00 per tire.(New Rim $475.00)ea :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks jeep5253 I forgot about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
HEMI Commander. said:
I finally got 17" OEM 6 spoke chrome jeep rims off of Ebay for my commander. Now I know once that they are installed to drive it over 35mph and the computer should read them, but do the sensors them selfs come off by twisting them off or are they screwed in. I got a place where they said they can remove the tires off my alloys and put them on my chorme rims and balance them for $40 bucks but they need to know how the sensors come off. Ive done business with this shop almost 20yrs. They said they havent done any work on a commander yet so that's why they want to know.
the sensors are value stems. it is all one unit that clips to the inside of the wheel. you need to break the tire down in order to install them. I tried running my AEV's without, thinking that i could by-pass the computer but it drove me nuts trying to read the sensors that were not there. I had to go back in and install them. Still wish i could over-ride them. they are a pain on cold mornings like this one and the same pain when you air down for the trail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So wkfore is there anything on them that can be damaged. I called a goodyear and they said they have kits to reinstall them due to something breaking off when removing them. youve heard anything like that before. As far as I can see the sensors are the same through 06-08 right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
HEMI Commander. said:
So wkfore is there anything on them that can be damaged. I called a goodyear and they said they have kits to reinstall them due to something breaking off when removing them. youve heard anything like that before. As far as I can see the sensors are the same through 06-08 right.
I really do not remember if it was a clip or a sticky surface. i think it was a clip. I will call my tire guy and let you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wkfore said:
I really do not remember if it was a clip or a sticky surface. i think it was a clip. I will call my tire guy and let you know.

Its held on by a bolt from the outside. I bought a brand New 17" chrome rim with new tire off a 2008 commander for $150. I said thats hell of a deal. Will at least have a back up tire just incase i ever have a blow out. So the only thing the tech said is when you install the sensor back on the chrome rim not to over tighten the bolt on the sensor because you will damage the seals. Goodyear wanted to charge me $200 to swap out 5 rims what a rip off. This shop I went to did it for $55 to do everything. Im going to be selling the stock alloy wheels, Would $250 for all 5 wheels + shipping be a good deal or should I go lower.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top