Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I'm new here, and if this is in the wrong place, I apologize. I just purchased my '07 XK this week. The dealer put a stupid adhesive decal type sticker on the back liftgate. I don't want that sticker there. Any idea of a safe way to remove it without damaging the paint? TIA!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The sticker should peel off pretty easily. If its warm out it will peel easier. You may use a hairdryer to warm it up, dont get it too close though. It doesnt have to HOT !!, just a little warm. Any glue residue can be removed with a wax/ grease remover, or maybe some GOO-GONE.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have goo gone, I was just worried about using that on the paint. Cool I'll try and remove it this weekend.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have goo gone, I was just worried about using that on the paint. Cool I'll try and remove it this weekend.
I've got Goo Gone too and have used it on paint before. The label shouldn't say anything about it being bad for paint so you should be good. It just doesn't work as good in the cold.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
All, I'm new here, and if this is in the wrong place, I apologize. I just purchased my '07 XK this week. The dealer put a stupid adhesive decal type sticker on the back liftgate. I don't want that sticker there. Any idea of a safe way to remove it without damaging the paint? TIA!
Buy a new back window! :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I hate dealer stickers. When we bought our Hyundai, I peeled the sticker off right there on the lot in front of the salesman. He was real young , therefore pretty new at the job. The look on his face was priceless. I think he thought he might get in trouble. LOL !!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Mine came of with the heat gun and took lots of goo gone to get the adhesive off.

One time my father in-law was ordering a brand new Blazer 4X4 ... after he had the deal all wrote up and JUST before he handed the down payment he insisted there was to be NO dealer stickers on the truck.

The dealer said they HAD to put the sticker on as it was their policy .. so my father in law just got up and walked out, he stopped in almost a week later and they were kissing his butt, he got the "no sticker clause" like he wanted, and an additional discount off the price :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine came of with the heat gun and took lots of goo gone to get the adhesive off.

One time my father in-law was ordering a brand new Blazer 4X4 ... after he had the deal all wrote up and JUST before he handed the down payment he insisted there was to be NO dealer stickers on the truck.

The dealer said they HAD to put the sticker on as it was their policy .. so my father in law just got up and walked out, he stopped in almost a week later and they were kissing his butt, he got the "no sticker clause" like he wanted, and an additional discount off the price :)
I did the same thing when I ordered my 90 Mustang. Told the dealer that I didn't want any stickers on it and when I came to pick it up there it was on the back. I looked at him and asked when my car would be here? He said, this is your car. I told him that my car doesn't have a dealer sticker on it. It was promptly removed.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I did the same thing when I ordered my 90 Mustang. Told the dealer that I didn't want any stickers on it and when I came to pick it up there it was on the back. I looked at him and asked when my car would be here? He said, this is your car. I told him that my car doesn't have a dealer sticker on it. It was promptly removed.
Usually if it's removed right way like that it does not leave any residue

Does everyone remember when they use to drill the tail gate and Rivet the dealer logo's on? ... they would rust like crazy sometimes ... and the odd time they never even got them on straight

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always tell them that I want their sticker removed from my vehicle at delivery. I told them that they could leave it on my Commander if they take off an additional $500 for advertising fees. I also had them to remove the "dealer installed custom pin striping" that was an added $350 option. They didn't charge for the striping. When I took delivery it had no sticker or striping.

In college I worked at a dealership. I removed many of those stickers at the request of the customer. Next time tell them to take it off themselves. They will without question. Goo gone works great for taking off the adhesive left overs though.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I told them I did not want one and they made sure there was no sticker on my Commander as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats good advice. To be honest, I was really tired after we took delivery (late at night), and it didnt' occur to me until I got home. Sticker came off no problem though. Thanks for the advice guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts