Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'd like to hear about someone who knows how to separate the 4WD LOW from the differential blocking. Actually when you use the 4WD LOW is limited to slippery surfaces. In my country (Venezuela) we have very steep mountains with hard surface roads with a lot of curves where we cannot use the 4WD LOW because it blocks the front/rear differentials and it can damage the transmission system. I've seen many other cars like Toyota, Nissan, etc., where you can choose to block or not the differential when using 4WD LOW. So, Is this possible with the 2007 Commander with an extra accesory or programming?.

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'm confused as to what you are trying to do. Are you trying to put the vehicle in 4 low but only have the power go to the rear wheels so you dont mess up the 4wd on the dry pavement? Or are you trying to lock the transfer case into low but still have split power going to the front and rear wheels like when its in full time 4wd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to use my commander with 4WD LOW with non slippery surface (pavement), without the risk of damaging the transmission.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
You can use 4-Lo on pavement, but you need to keep your speed under 25mph.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Hello, I'd like to hear about someone who knows how to separate the 4WD LOW from the differential blocking. Actually when you use the 4WD LOW is limited to slippery surfaces. In my country (Venezuela) we have very steep mountains with hard surface roads with a lot of curves where we cannot use the 4WD LOW because it blocks the front/rear differentials and it can damage the transmission system. I've seen many other cars like Toyota, Nissan, etc., where you can choose to block or not the differential when using 4WD LOW. So, Is this possible with the 2007 Commander with an extra accesory or programming?.

Thank you in advance for your help.
4WD low is not limited for use only on slippery surfaces. Which 4WD system do you have on your Commander ?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You can use 4-Lo on pavement, but you need to keep your speed under 25mph.
I wouldnt recommend using 4 low on dry pavement for any prolonged period of time.

Regardless of what terrain you are on you need to keep your speed under 25 while in 4 low.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I think he wants the low range without the use of the front diff being engaged.

We used to do it all the time on my old Dodge Power Wagon. I could roast my 38's on dry pavement with just my little 318.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I think what he is trying to say that he wants to use the 4 LOW without the transfer case gets locked to be able to turn sharply on hard surface.

I think this is possible,, but someone need to dig into it and trace the signal the triggers the transfer case lock and put a manual switch in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah Ahmed, THAT'S EXACTLY what I want, and for those who say that you can use the 4LOW on hard surface CHECK your OWNER'S MANUAL!!,

Ahmed do you know any accesory which can help me to achive this? My commander has QUADRA-DRIVE II, and is not a problem of speed ( I know the limit is 25, the problem is about turning! it has to be without the diff blocking). I want to climb or descend step mountains with pavement and sharp curves.

Thank you all for your help

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Yeah Ahmed, THAT'S EXACTLY what I want, and for those who say that you can use the 4LOW on hard surface CHECK your OWNER'S MANUAL!!,

Ahmed do you know any accesory which can help me to achive this? My commander has QUADRA-DRIVE II, and is not a problem of speed ( I know the limit is 25, the problem is about turning! it has to have the front/rear diff disangage)

4low is typically used for rock crawling. I don't know what kind of rocks you are used to but the ones I am familiar with are damn hard. By the way, if you have QDII you shouldn't have any problem doing anything.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
In my country (Venezuela) we have very steep mountains with hard surface roads where we cannot use the 4WD LOW because it blocks the front/rear differentials and it can damage the transmission system. Is this possible with the 2007 Commander with an extra accesory or programming?
and for those who say that you can use the 4LOW on hard surface CHECK your OWNER'S MANUAL!
Then don't use 4-lo! Just by a two wheel drive or only drive on soft surfaces.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
4low is typically used for rock crawling. I don't know what kind of rocks you are used to but the ones I am familiar with are damn hard. By the way, if you have QDII you shouldn't have any problem doing anything.
You really can't compare rock crawling to driving on dry pavement. :stickpoke:

When was the last time you were driving on dry pavement and you lost traction in 4 low?

·
Registered
116 Posts
It sounds like he just wants a lower gear for steep windy hills in the mountains. I know they make something for the big three trucks to engage low range but not the front diff. Some one just needs to moke a module to engage low range but not lock the axles together.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts

Ahmed do you know any accesory which can help me to achive this? My commander has QUADRA-DRIVE II, and is not a problem of speed ( I know the limit is 25, the problem is about turning! it has to be without the diff blocking). I want to climb or descend step mountains with pavement and sharp curves.

Dont use the word "blocking" ,, it confused the guys,, its "locking"

personally I don't know any accessory that can make this happen

When was the last time you were driving on dry pavement and you lost traction in 4 low?
07JeepXK, he didn't lose traction, turning on hard pavement is not ok with 4-low engaged as the two axles locked together, its not good for the transfer case and tires as well.

what he is looking for is the 4-low range without the transfer case diff getting locked.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
07JeepXK, he didn't lose traction, turning on hard pavement is not ok with 4-low engaged as the two axles locked together, its not good for the transfer case and tires as well.

what he is looking for is the 4-low range without the transfer case diff getting locked.
I was quoting jeep5253 when I was refering to losing traction on dry pavement because he was trying to compare rock crawling to driving on pavement. I know its not good to drive 4 low on dry pavement for any length of time. It seems to be everyone else that doesnt understand that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think what he is trying to say that he wants to use the 4 LOW without the transfer case gets locked to be able to turn sharply on hard surface.

I think this is possible,, but someone need to dig into it and trace the signal the triggers the transfer case lock and put a manual switch in it.
Hello all,

If you look in the FJ Cruiser model from Toyota you will find that you have two switches, one for 4WD and other for the differential blocking control, while in the commander you only have one control for both. It means that you can choose on the FJ cruiser only the LOW gear if you need to climb/descend from a very step hill on hard surface or you can add the differential blocking if you are on sand, mud, or any other surface, that's what I want in my commander.

Thank you in advance for your replies

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Hello all,

If you look in the FJ Cruiser model from Toyota you will find that you have two switches, one for 4WD and other for the differential blocking control, while in the commander you only have one control for both. It means that you can choose on the FJ cruiser only the LOW gear if you need to climb/descend from a very step hill on hard surface or you can add the differential blocking if you are on sand, mud, or any other surface, that's what I want in my commander.

Your comparison is not right, the differential locking in the FJ is for the rear axle (not the transfer case).

all 4x4 SUVs I have seen locks the transfer case automatically when engaging 4-low .. some SUVs such as Toyota and Pajero (super select) give the possibility to lock the transfer case in 4-Hi as well.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I was quoting jeep5253 when I was refering to losing traction on dry pavement because he was trying to compare rock crawling to driving on pavement. I know its not good to drive 4 low on dry pavement for any length of time. It seems to be everyone else that doesnt understand that.
I was NOT comparing rock crawling to driving on pavement. Read it again.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Hello all,

Dude, you have Quadra-Drive II, you don't need to modify it. It is the best 4WD system on the planet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Then don't use 4-lo! Just by a two wheel drive or only drive on soft surfaces.
When you go down a hill for 20 minutes in the first speed 4WD high using the brakes all time, you know you need 4WD low gear to use the motor compression to help brake your car. If that road is made of concrete and has a lot of curves, you are afraid to damage your transmission using the nomal 4WD low from your commander. Then you feel bad when you see a lot of Toyotas (very popular in my country) going down the hill without using the brakes. I like a lot my commander, so I do not consider I have to change my car. I would like to find a way to use the low gear on hard surface step roads with sharp curves.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts