Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Folks

New here and about to purchase a nice 2009 Limited. It has the 5.7 Hemi.
IT says "Trail Rated" on the fender; but there are no definitive
markings to indicate whether or not it has the "electronic limited slip"
diffs. No sticker available, either.
It does not have tow hooks, but has pretty much everything else optional.

Would a QDll have some insignia or marking inside to indicate the limited slip diffs?

Thanks!
Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Would a QDll have some insignia or marking inside to indicate the limited slip diffs?
There should be a badge on the console between the shifter and the cup holder that says Quadra-Drive II. If you have QDII then you have the front and rear limited slip differentials. But there is the possibility that the badge has come off or been removed by a previous owner. The best way to see how your vehicle came equipped from the factory is to get your build sheet from Jeep. Click on "Equipment Listing" under Your Vehicle and put your VIN in at this link to get your build sheet: http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
HI Folks

Thanks!
Mike
Did you figure it out?

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and the site!
I got the build sheet and found out it does not have Quadra-Drive ll.

It's ok....not a deal killer. Glad it does have the heavy duty trailer towing package
and trailer sway control. Even has the rear TV!

Glad I joined this forum.... I'll probably have a lot more questions.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But it is 4WD, isn't it ?
Oh yes,

It has the QuadraTrac ll 4WD.
If it bugs me enough I may put in a air or electric locker in the future.

The third seat latch lever on the passenger side is broken, so the seat won't lie flat. That's the only problem I found with it.
Should be an easy fix, but ....little things like that have a way of
aggravating me!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am not discrediting QD II by any means. It is an awesome 4WD system. However, I have the 5.7L QT II and I have wheeled with guys who have QD ll. If your build is the same (Lift, tires etc. etc.) There is no obstacle QD ll can overcome that QT ll cannot. It just takes learning the system and a bit more patience. QD ll may have an easier time conquering the obstacle is all. If your that persistent, like you said, just throw in a rear locker then a front one later.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Aw man, when did they start getting sway control? My 07 with tow package didn't get it.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Oh yes,

It has the QuadraTrac ll 4WD.
If it bugs me enough I may put in a air or electric locker in the future.
I think you will find that the Quadra-Trac II 4WD system is a more than capable 4WD system.

I have had mine for almost 2 yrs now and I go off-road pretty regularly.

I also have a small 5x8 enclosed utility trailer that I tow loaded with camping and hiking equipment. I have towed it through some pretty mountainous areas in Kentucky, Georgia & Alabama, areas of deep mud, large puddles/pools of water and large patches of sugar sand and she does not miss a beat.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
HI Folks

Thanks!
Mike

See the Quadra-Drive II badge inside the red circle?

That's what Quadra-Drive II equipped Commanders have.

If it has the he chrome T-Handle without the Quadra-Drive II badge, it is Quadra-Trac II equipped.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Actually, some model years Commanders don't have much in the way of QuadraDrive badges, even if they have QDII.
And, it's fairly easy to add a QuadraDrive badge even if you only have QTII.
Then there's my 2008, I added QDII shortly after I purchased it and didn't add any badges.

The best way to see what it has is to count the bolts on the rear axle cover. 10=QTII, 12=QDII. You can also see the wiring harness coming out of the top of the housing on the QDII. Easy on the rear, a bit harder on the front. Non existant on QTII.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Actually, some model years Commanders don't have much in the way of QuadraDrive badges, even if they have QDII.
And, it's fairly easy to add a QuadraDrive badge even if you only have QTII.

Then there's my 2008, I added QDII shortly after I purchased it and didn't add any badges.

The best way to see what it has is to count the bolts on the rear axle cover. 10=QTII, 12=QDII. You can also see the wiring harness coming out of the top of the housing on the QDII. Easy on the rear, a bit harder on the front. Non existant on QTII.
Checking whether you have a 10 bolt (QT-II) or 12 bolt (QD-II) rear differential cover is definitely another good way to do it. This is, by far, the most valid point you made in my opinion.

Looking for a wiring harness? Not very realistic or convenient for that matter.

As far as Quadra-Drive II Commanders not having the Quadra-Drive II badging, I think that's the rare exception and not the rule.

As far as someone adding a Quadra-Drive II badge to a Commander that doesn't have Quadra-Drive II; I think you're reaching a little bit with that assertion.

You said you added Quadra-Drive II to your Commander shortly after you bought it but didn't add the Quadra-Drive II badging; How many other Commander owners do you think have done that besides you? I can tell you that you, are the only one that I have ever read or heard about doing it. So, I feel pretty confident saying that's another rare exception and not the rule.

You can always just go the Chrysler website, plug in the VIN and pull the factory build sheet - that's another way to take alot of the doubt out of the equation.

Dodge - Contact Us

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you have already bought, go to the "Your Vehicle" tab; click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have no desire to get into an argument, was just offering advice on how to quickly determine how a vehicle is equipped. You're right, it is a good idea to pull the build sheet for any vehicle you're contemplating buying. Sometimes you can't do it while you're looking, and some people jump too quickly on a vehicle they're looking at. That's why I posted how to visually check what it has.
In my time on this and the other WK-XK forums, I've seen messages from people asking where to get various Jeep badges to put on their Jeeps. There was one guy who looked at an advertised WK that had "Trail Rated" badges, but looking underneath found it was a 2WD. No way it was "Trail Rated". So while it's rare for someone to scam that the Jeep they're selling is better equipped than it really is, it's not unheard of.
I am probably the only one who has upgraded their QTII Jeep to QDII as they are shipped from the factory. At least I've never heard of someone else doing it. It was a lot of work, required Chrysler to change the PCM programming and cost about $3500 with all new parts. BUT the brand new 2008 XK 4.7L QTII I bought off the dealer lot for for $14000 less than MSRP, meant that I was more than $11000 ahead than buying/ordering one equipped with QDII. So it was well worth it financially. And the badging isn't important to me, so I didn't change that. Incidentally, my original build sheet shows QTII. After the Chrysler programming changes, my build sheet still shows QTII. But StarScan shows QDII and of course I have a QDII FDCM and differentials. I don't care, my QDII works perfectly, just as Jeep designed, and I have no desire to sell it.
Part of this forum is for people to learn more about their Jeeps, how they work and what they look like under the hood.
You've made some good posts here, keep it up.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Have no desire to get into an argument, was just offering advice on how to quickly determine how a vehicle is equipped. You're right, it is a good idea to pull the build sheet for any vehicle you're contemplating buying. Sometimes you can't do it while you're looking, and some people jump too quickly on a vehicle they're looking at. That's why I posted how to visually check what it has.
In my time on this and the other WK-XK forums, I've seen messages from people asking where to get various Jeep badges to put on their Jeeps. There was one guy who looked at an advertised WK that had "Trail Rated" badges, but looking underneath found it was a 2WD. No way it was "Trail Rated". So while it's rare for someone to scam that the Jeep they're selling is better equipped than it really is, it's not unheard of.
I am probably the only one who has upgraded their QTII Jeep to QDII as they are shipped from the factory. At least I've never heard of someone else doing it. It was a lot of work, required Chrysler to change the PCM programming and cost about $3500 with all new parts. BUT the brand new 2008 XK 4.7L QTII I bought off the dealer lot for for $14000 less than MSRP, meant that I was more than $11000 ahead than buying/ordering one equipped with QDII. So it was well worth it financially. And the badging isn't important to me, so I didn't change that. Incidentally, my original build sheet shows QTII. After the Chrysler programming changes, my build sheet still shows QTII. But StarScan shows QDII and of course I have a QDII FDCM and differentials. I don't care, my QDII works perfectly, just as Jeep designed, and I have no desire to sell it.
Part of this forum is for people to learn more about their Jeeps, how they work and what they look like under the hood.
You've made some good posts here, keep it up.
$3500.00 for the upgrade to Quadra-Drive II - I'd agree with you that that's money well spent.

It also sounds like you got one incredible deal on your Commander.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts