Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for a Commander and I know from this forum there are two drives, Quadra drive II and Quadra track. My question is how do you distinguish what drive is in the Jeep? Also I am looking at limited that has a badge on the driver side front fender saying Trail Ready, does this mean it has a different suspension for driving trails or that the owner has driven on trails and has received this badge for doing so or is it just an aftermarket badge that the owner put on to make him look like a cool trail runner? This car looks like it has never been of road, no scratches anywhere on the paint so I don't think it has been off road unless it has a new paint job.

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
I shopped for and bought jeep Commander just this past fall and also pondered the issue of Quadra Drive II vs Quadra Trac II and can tell you these things --

1. A Commander with Quadra Trac II will, I believe, have a plaque on the center console below the shifter that says Quadra Drive II. If not, then the Commander has either Quadra Trac II (if a Limited) or Quadra Trac I (if a Limited or a Sport). There are other ways to tell from looking at the rear differential case, I believe -- look on this forum.

2. You can also use the VIN number to look on the Jeep website and get a build sheet. It will tell you all of the equipment and options.

3. Don't trust the dealer or a private seller as to the 4WD system. I found that they are usually ignorant.

4. As for the advantages and disadvantages of each system, look on this forum and on you tube, and there is a lot of commentary and opinions. The Quadra Drive II system is the better system, but I found it to be much harder to find a Commander with that system.

5. The Jeep Commander that I purchased has Quadra Trac II, the "lesser" system, because in the end I concluded that other factors such as price and condition were more important.

6. This I can tell you -- after driving my Commander for the past several months, both off roading and in deep snow and icy conditions, the Quadra Trac II system is indescribably better than the 4WD system on the 2000 Dodge Durango that the Commander replaced, both in capabilities and ease of use. And the Durango was pretty good (it has low range and a locking center differential, although open front and rear differentials).

7. This forum is the best source of information for Jeep Commanders,and the members are very helpful. You will find an answer on this forum to just about any question.

8. The Jeep Commander is a great vehicle, with an unmatched combination of size, comfort and off road capabilities, as well as price in the used car market.

·
Banned
15 Posts
One correction -- I believe all of the Limiteds have either Quadra Drive II or Quadra Trac II and the Sports may have any of the three 4WD systems -- Quadra Drive II, Quadra Trac II or Quadra Trac I. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, I am sure.

I think once you get a Commander, you just enjoy the vehicle and don't worry about the 4WD system. They are all good -- after all, it is a Jeep!

·
Banned
15 Posts
Sorry, another mistake in my post. On item 1, the Jeep Commanders with Quadra Drive II will have a plague that says Quadra Drive II on the console below the shifter. Ones with Quadra Trac I or II have no plaque, as far as I am aware. I will just shut up now so I don't make more mistakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Captain C the car I have now has AWD and sends power to each wheel that is not spinning and I thought I would like to have the same system but you say the Q track works well so it gives me another option. Thanks for the reply or should I say replies, anyhow thanks for the information.

·
Banned
15 Posts
The Jeep Commander 4WD systems are generally much, much more capable than the AWD systems in most vehicles, and not just for off roading but also for driving in snow and ice. Look on this forum or do a search on You Tube for Quadra Trac or Quadra Drive, and it will explain the differences and advantages, which are real.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Sal for the link, the pictures make it easier to figure what drive one has in their Jeep. Going to print it out and carry it with me while I a shopping for a Commander.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Trail rated badge means QTII or QDII. if it's 4x4 but no badge or transfer case T-bar in center console, it is QTI. Pretty much every Hemi has QDII, while the 4.7 could have either of the QT systems. I have seen 3.7s with badges and T-bars, but they are super rare I think. It had to be special order. No 3.7 has QDII, the grand daddy with ELSD :) which is freaking sweet! And I should know. :) Also as others mentioned, all QDII equipped jeeps have a little badge on the console that clearly states it's rock star status. (Aka, Quadra Drive II)

·
Registered
139 Posts
And the badge is only ever on the drivers side. If it's on both, someone added them, and I would make sure of what system it had. When I was shopping for mine, I saw a 2wd(??:(??) With two trail rated badges.lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts