·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 Jeep Commander, Limited 4.7L 4x4
has all the bells and whistles
auto highbeams(turned off)
auto dimming rear view and driver side mirrors

I'm not sure if anybody has done this or not, but I like to have my headlights on whenever I'm driving. That means day and night. I'm trying to fool the auto headlight sensor in to thinking it's always dark out. My dad did this on his F250 with some dark tape over the little senor bubble on the dash. I removed my sensor and taped it really well, but my headlights still act as if I did nothing. Is there another sensor someplace that is essentially bypassing the dash sensor to keep the lights off? I have scrolled through the dash computer to see if there is an option for Daylight running lights, but i didn't see one.

Here are some pictures of the places that I think have extra sensors that could be causing the problem I'm having. There is one in the center of the dash, one spot on top of the center rear view, forward facing on the center rear view, or maybe the tinted bubble on the rear roof in the cargo/third row area?

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts

I don't get it. are my pics showing up for y'all?
I'm not seeing them Pete.

What method are you using to post them?

Are you using a third party image hosting site?

If you are - try pasting the URL of the photo in between 2 image tags like this;

Also make sure the photo isn't any larger than 1024 pixels x 576 pixels.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
There is a switch position that allows the lights to be on all the time, you just have to turn them off when you shut off the engine, but then you probably knew this. Welcome to forum.

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for posting the pics I couldn't get to work. I'll check the sizes next time I post pics.

I could go get the Dealer to turn on the Daytime running lights, but I also would like my dash lights to come on. I know I'm being picky, but I like the way it looks with the lights on. Plus like someone said, I know about how to turn them on all the time, but then I'd have to turn them off like I've been doing the past two years.

I'd really like to know what sensors work with this system, because I'd really like to just trick it to do what I want :D

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
Thanks guys for posting the pics I couldn't get to work. I'll check the sizes next time I post pics.

I could go get the Dealer to turn on the Daytime running lights, but I also would like my dash lights to come on. I know I'm being picky, but I like the way it looks with the lights on. Plus like someone said, I know about how to turn them on all the time, but then I'd have to turn them off like I've been doing the past two years.

I'd really like to know what sensors work with this system, because I'd really like to just trick it to do what I want :D
Did you try just covering the sensor before you took it out?

·
Registered
176 Posts
In the pic we can see you are pointing to the rear backup sensor display - the one that lights up as you get closer to an object when backing up. The light sensor for the headlights is in the center of the dash - a round dome right at the base of the windshield. Have you tried covering that with black tape or some other object?

Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In the pic we can see you are pointing to the rear backup sensor display - the one that lights up as you get closer to an object when backing up. The light sensor for the headlights is in the center of the dash - a round dome right at the base of the windshield. Have you tried covering that with black tape or some other object?

Bob
Hi Bob,
Yes i have the little dome sensor on the dash nicely covered with ductape. I'm thinking about taping over both forward facing "view ports" on the rear view and the box in front of the rear view and seeing if that does the trick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts