Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently picked up an 08 Commander 4.7. I bought the car for super cheap and relatively low miles but the cost of that was getting a car that had an entire rebuilt front end and something that made many many interesting noises; still had a green title though which is a plus. I fixed a few of the noises this car has made, just got brand new wheels and tires and replaced the front CV and got rid of the non-existent brake pads... However, there is still one noise that the car is making that is eluding me. During normal driving all I really hear is the small vacuum leak coming from the intake, which I intend to fix soon, but there is also a noise coming from, it appears to be, the accelerator pedal that I cannot distinguish. If I take the car over 40 miles an hour it's like it flips a switch and any time I touch the accelerator pedal, even just to hold speed, it will howl like a lovesick wolf. the sound entirely goes away if you either don't touch the accelerator or if you slow down below 40. You can also feel a slight vibration(?) Within the accelerator pedal while it's making the noise. the sound isn't disorienting it's just quite annoying after a while. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
15,246 Posts
@x2c.diamundz Welcome to the forum! Post up some pics of your Commander when you get the chance. I doubt that the noise is actually coming from the gas pedal, but rather that when you reach a certain speed it is causing another part of the vehicle that has a problem to make the noise. What that part is I can't say for certain, but it could be bad hub bearings, which could also cause the vibration. Keep us updated on what you find.

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
Hello all, I recently picked up an 08 Commander 4.7. I bought the car for super cheap and relatively low miles but the cost of that was getting a car that had an entire rebuilt front end and something that made many many interesting noises; still had a green title though which is a plus. I fixed a few of the noises this car has made, just got brand new wheels and tires and replaced the front CV and got rid of the non-existent brake pads... However, there is still one noise that the car is making that is eluding me. During normal driving all I really hear is the small vacuum leak coming from the intake, which I intend to fix soon, but there is also a noise coming from, it appears to be, the accelerator pedal that I cannot distinguish. If I take the car over 40 miles an hour it's like it flips a switch and any time I touch the accelerator pedal, even just to hold speed, it will howl like a lovesick wolf. the sound entirely goes away if you either don't touch the accelerator or if you slow down below 40. You can also feel a slight vibration(?) Within the accelerator pedal while it's making the noise. the sound isn't disorienting it's just quite annoying after a while. Any ideas?
@x2c.diamundz;

Are you receiving any diagnostic trouble codes?

Also please read the New Member Required Reading below & complete your user profile as directed;

Here are some links if you need to order any more parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

4 inch XK Superlift;
AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

Jeep Steel Bumpers
4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

Thanks & welcome aboard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I finally took my Commander in for diag at a dealership my buddy works in. Turns out it's my front diff making the howling noise... ):
I don't want to get rid of the car seeing as how I just put a bunch of money into it with new wheels, tires, brakes, CV joint, brush guard (I've practically already bought the thing twice now with how much money I've spent on it) but it turns out I might have to. Both repair options, ie rebuilding or replacing, are way too expensive for a poor college kid to afford..

·
Administrator
15,246 Posts
So I finally took my Commander in for diag at a dealership my buddy works in. Turns out it's my front diff making the howling noise... ):
I don't want to get rid of the car seeing as how I just put a bunch of money into it with new wheels, tires, brakes, CV joint, brush guard (I've practically already bought the thing twice now with how much money I've spent on it) but it turns out I might have to. Both repair options, ie rebuilding or replacing, are way too expensive for a poor college kid to afford..
@x2c.diamundz Sorry to hear that. Vehicles (any vehicle) can be unexpectedly expensive sometimes. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
Well, it's probably safe to say, you now know why you got it so cheap @x2c.diamundz.

I think it would probably be worth fixing for the long haul.

Let us know what you decide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts