Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was planning on putting 35" tires on my ride, I backed off just a little when I found Nitto makes a nice AT in a size that would fit nice, well kinda. 285/75 R17 comes out to what the say is 33.8x. Not going to clear the ball joint with the factory rims so I ordered a set of proComps to fit the off spacing. Tonight I am going to pull it in the shop after it cools down, 90 some Deg outside. I removed the plastic wheel wells and fender flairs so far, next I have to cut a cheese wedge out of the back part of the wheel well as the tire will hit this when turned and a bump is hit. Lucky part is I thought the sheet mettle you see is the same you step on in the cab. It's not, there is a unframe that runs along the side of the jeep up to this point and will be Reinforced with steel after I cut the cheese wedge out. The piece of mettle with the AC and heater lines connect to has an air gap between it and the floor boards. here are some pics and more when it is done and the 34"s are on this weekend.

The pic tire compare is a cherokee with 35"s and if you are wondering, yes that is a SRT8 Grand Cherokee in the back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Very ambitious project, take lots of pictures of your body modifications if you can.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This seems like the way to go....good luck. I have a write up bookmarked that encourages me to do that( my inspiration photo). I'm still too scared... as 49-er Fan stated pictures please!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What are your plans for the rear?? You really cant just take the flares off like you did on the front because the front portion of the rear flare is part of the door. Well I mean you could take it off but have you seen what it looks like underneith???? Not to pretty. Plus you would be losing one of the door seals. I have already came up with a plan to fix that issue though.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Looks like you are on your way. I would guess this is not your daily driver XK since from the one picture I can see another XK and a WK. Do you live on a Jeep dealer lot?LOL

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Looks like you are on your way. I would guess this is not your daily driver XK since from the one picture I can see another XK and a WK. Do you live on a Jeep dealer lot?LOL
That XK on the left in that picture is his XK. The other vehicle on the right with the KM2's is a Cherokee and the vehicle in the back is a SRT 8 Grand Cherokee.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
That XK on the left in that picture is his XK. The other vehicle on the right with the KM2's is a Cherokee and the vehicle in the back is a SRT 8 Grand Cherokee.
ohhhhhhh now I see, I didn't catch that part of the original post.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
ohhhhhhh now I see, I didn't catch that part of the original post.
I thought the same thing as you did until I looked closer at the picture!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, the cutting is done, a lot of clearance was gained. I had to remove the plastic trim that ran along the sides. After the cutting was done it would have stuck out about 7 inches. I am going to wait to weld in a mettle plate and structeral support til after the rims get here tomorrow and some testing can be done. I don't want to have to gring off the welds if just a litle more is needed, thought I doupt it. It looks good. As for the rear, pretty much, if it rubs or hits the flairs, they have to come off. I know, it's pretty ugle under the flair in the back. I hope the massive tires will take people eye's of that until I finish the fiberglass flairs lol. To answer that, I am make replica flairs of the stock commander. I just can't or wont do the bolt look with crome caps just way to hard to do, but the style will be about the same. It will be a few weeks without flairs thought and to answer your question, this is my daily driver. Cosmetics is no reason to not drive it :p

here are some pics, warning they are not prety till the welding is done. if you have a weak stomach you might not want to see this :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My 265/70R17's rub a little in back when its flexed out so Im sure those tires you have are going to rub really bad during normal driving. My vote is the rear flares must come off!!! Go big or go home....

BTW those are some nice looking wheels!!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
You are a very brave man, looking forward to the next set of photos.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
few more pics in the sun light, that uniframe is injected with a dense foam. No wonder our cars are so heavy :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have a feeling that your tires are going to take out those AC lines. YOu should definately try to relocate them somewhere or something.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jaimeson do you think that plastic rocker guard could be cut and reused? I was just curious if it was a solid piece. I know that is the least of your worries!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Jaimeson do you think that plastic rocker guard could be cut and reused? I was just curious if it was a solid piece. I know that is the least of your worries!
The plastic rocker guards arent soild and can be cut, however there would no longer be end caps on them if they were cut.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the AC lines were a concern, the path of the tire when turning clears it by a good amount but if I had gone with widder than a 11.22" like a 35x12.5 may have been more of an issue. The 285/75 is only 1.5" inches wider than stock.
Those plastic rocker panals are absolute garbage, jeep should be ashamed to have put those on a trail rated vehicale. Those are the first thing to hit off road but I have seen some steel ones a company makes for the WK. I asked them if they plan to make something for the XK and they said no plans. So once again we have to take it in our own hands to create our after market. I am going to make a set of steel ones at some point, add that to my long list of thing to be done lol. Tires come in tomorrow, I will post pics of the fit and clearances. Hopefully this will help others who don't want a high center of gravity or $1600 less in thier wallet. I am not a big fan of lifts unless it's needed for clearance and if you don't have enough room for your tire you have not became good friends with a cut off wheel :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
the AC lines were a concern, the path of the tire when turning clears it by a good amount but if I had gone with widder than a 11.22" like a 35x12.5 may have been more of an issue. The 285/75 is only 1.5" inches wider than stock.
Those plastic rocker panals are absolute garbage, jeep should be ashamed to have put those on a trail rated vehicale. Those are the first thing to hit off road but I have seen some steel ones a company makes for the WK. I asked them if they plan to make something for the XK and they said no plans. So once again we have to take it in our own hands to create our after market. I am going to make a set of steel ones at some point, add that to my long list of thing to be done lol. Tires come in tomorrow, I will post pics of the fit and clearances. Hopefully this will help others who don't want a high center of gravity or $1600 less in thier wallet. I am not a big fan of lifts unless it's needed for clearance and if you don't have enough room for your tire you have not became good friends with a cut off wheel :)
If your refering to the ones 4xguard makes for the WK they do infact fit on the XK. Check out this thread.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9759

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
here are some pics, warning they are not prety till the welding is done. if you have a weak stomach you might not want to see this :p
Why did I look... why?!! :ugh2: :(

I can wait to see the end result :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here are some pics, the back is going to need some clearencing, I am going to flex it out here in a bit and see. drive home had no rubbing.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
more pics of the 34"s, will try and get some of it with flairs in a few just to get an idea of how they wont fit :p

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts