Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am planning on putting Hummer H2 roof marker lights on my commander....i know it may sound outrageous..but i think it looks different...anyone have a good idea what type of harness i would need to have these running...(i dont think that i would need to buy the oem hummer harness) or maybe i do....anyone with experience on cab lights and harnesses... i know i have seen cab lights on wranglers before....

·
2,248 Posts
I think I know what you are looking to do with running lights. I have put several clearence lights on different vehicles. I would suggest that you look for LED lights because they take much less current and do not greatly increase the need for upgrades in wireing or fuze size. You do not need a new harness. What I would suggest it that you carefully inspect the Commander and find the easiest way to tap each clearence light from the nearest or most accessable existing tail or marker light. You may be able to run them off wires tapped into the tail lights on either side. Be sure that you either have a good ground or run an extra wire back to a good ground. To power the lights all you really need is a hot wire from a source that is hot when the running lights are on and a good ground.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you huey for the advice....i think i would also need to see how to carefully do this.....did you drill ur roof in order to install the roof marker lights...?

·
2,248 Posts
It depends on what lights you get. Some are surface mounted and some insert with a grommet. You will in all probability at least have to drill a hole for the wires. The thread on sequential tail lights shows how to do a grommet recessed light.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8164

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
How dare you talk about putting HUMMER parts on a Jeep. You should be banned for life! HAHA JK

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts

Call them anything except Hummer lights!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well technically they are hummer lights....i was looking at some oems, or some recon lights....for the h****r ( "H" word) h2

·
Super Moderator
14,957 Posts
They are called running lights--even on a Hummer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i know...(removed).... im saying hummer lights because im going to put the exact SAME ONES that are on the HUMMER H2.....its to help distinguish the shape and color/size....the differ from GMC/CHEVY..FORD..or DODGE..... some say clearnace lights...some say cablights...U say running lights...same difference..hahah it just makes it easier to come up with a mental picture of the lights ontop of the jeep....being that there are many different types of clearance lights......thats all.....

:) and when i said that "technically they are HUMMEr lights...its cuz 49ner said that "call them anything but hummer lights..."

pay attention....

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have wanted to do this as well. I am curious as to how it would look. If anyone knows where to buy add on turn signal lamps for under the mirror or replacement glass I would like to do that mod as well. I found some that stick on to the mirror but they look pretty lame.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Redneck Lights

Well, how many are you thinking of adding? 3? 5?

I dont think there is any way around drilling holes for your wiring. Like Huey said, you can easily string the wires along under the headliner and they would be hidden. Run it down either post and tap into other wires.

Low draw, no heat. Anxious to see your pics.

Oh, be sure to add a 5 amp fuse to the line.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There wouldn't be any chance of setting off the side curtain airbag would there? I'm guessing I could Just let down the front portion of the headliner. However you do that. remove the grab handles..then somehow pry the front? Somebody else would probably need to attempt this first!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was looking at the H3 light bar and it is a plastic piece that attaches over the front windshield area. It can be added after the fact. Something like that would be pretty neat. I was looking at the hummerforums.com roofmarkerlights thread.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I bet the lights would look cool, as they do on the Hummer....I'd have a Hummer any day if it had 7 seats.

I got a Hummer t-shirt though :):):)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I remember a while back someone posted up the install sheets for adding the lights which had instructions for the Commander, Cherokee and Liberty. Maybe a little searching would lead you to it. It showed where to tap into the power, and how, as well as the recommended "run" for the wiring. I think it even had templates for where to cut and install a switch.

Good luck...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I added ab marker lights

I added some 3/4" led marker lights to the stock roof rails, drilled holes, placed grommets and wired to tail lights. I like how the back looks. Not crazy about the front. I was also thinking of amber for the rear. Kinda different version of Hueypilot's rear foglights.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Looks good. Look into your state law before putting amber lights in the rear. I know in wisconsin any lights added to the front have to be white or amber and only red lights are allowed in the back. I got a ticket for that when i was in high school.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think the whole point is lost on the commander cause the the sheet metal above the windshield is not the highest point on the roof (Clearance lights for measuring clearance) at the highest point the light would not visible to inspect for clearance unless you opened the sunroof poked your head out and looked back. I think it would look like the picture of the wrangler with the tow hooks installed backwards, clearly someone wanted it for looks and not function. If the sheet metal above the windshield was the highest then it would look cool in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts