Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand Newbie.. Just got a 2007 Black Overland Hemi. Any reviews, comparison or suggestions for better MPG aside from not putting my foot into it(though that is a lot of fun). I've used a hypertech performance program on my 8.1 Suburban and it did well. Now I see they have a Max Energy Econ for the Hemi that purports gains of 2-6mpg?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up a Hypertech Max Energy for my 06 Jeep Commander with a Hemi engine. I have only ran a half tank of gas with tuned program and it has shown a slight increase in MPG so far but I will know the ground truth when I go to the pump and fill up again. I will post again as soon as I know something.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I just picked up a Hypertech Max Energy for my 06 Jeep Commander with a Hemi engine. I have only ran a half tank of gas with tuned program and it has shown a slight increase in MPG so far but I will know the ground truth when I go to the pump and fill up again. I will post again as soon as I know something.
Any updates? I'm looking to up my Hemi's milage from 15 mpg to whatever I can realistically get. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Any updates? I'm looking to up my Hemi's milage from 15 mpg to whatever I can realistically get. Cheers.
If you're getting 15 you're doing a lot better than me.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
If you're getting 15 you're doing a lot better than me.
Sure wish there were a reasonably affordable way to upgrade our Hemis to the new MDS standards. I just saw an add for a Ram 1500 w/Hemi that claims 18-20 Hwy/mpg. If that brick-in-the-wind can get that kind of milage, we should be able to.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was getting ~14.8mpg on 80mph trips in the desert stock.

After the lift, 265 tires, new plugs and Diablo Predator tune, I am getting 15.6.
If I drove 55-60, I'd probably get 18 because MDS would be kicking in.

Be carful of 2 things:
1. If you're buying a tuner solely for mpg, you need to figure in the cost of the tuner and see how long it will take you to recoup that cost at a more realistic 1mpg gain..

2. Pass off all outrageous claims as B.S. and move on. I can't imagine in what universe we would get a 6mpg boost form a tuner.

·
Banned
389 Posts
I didn't even get a mpg extra in fuel economy w/ my Superchips tune, but I did get an extra 20 hp out of my 4.7 L. But, If I was after gas mileage I wouldn't have bought a Commander as a replacement for my aging Cherokee that is for sure.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I also have the 4.7 06 and I am undecided which programmer to get I get 12mpg avg city so if I could bump it up to 13 or 14 that would be awsome I guess I'll wait to see more input on the forum.

·
Banned
389 Posts
I also have the 4.7 06 and I am undecided which programmer to get I get 12mpg avg city so if I could bump it up to 13 or 14 that would be awsome I guess I'll wait to see more input on the forum.
The differences between an '06 4.7 L & an '08 and up 4.7 L engine is vast. If your looking for programming on the 4.7 L then I will assume that your engine, like mine isn't really going to see more than a single mpg increase but you will see a noticeable change in power (20 hp). If you want a bump in 1 to 1.5 mpg you should be able to achieve that by ditching the stock airbox for a K&N, that adds 10 hp too, and makes your engine sound noticeably more mean from idle all the way up thru the rpm range. Something most people overlook, but will get you the most bang for your buck is making sure your tires are properly inflated, its free (in most cases at some gas stations) and can dramatically effect your gas mileage if your tires inflation runs low because it increases rolling friction which eats mileage...at 12 mpg outta your 4.7 L I'd also check your spark plugs for wear because you should be doing several mpg better than that my friend...hope these tips help.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I was getting ~14.8mpg on 80mph trips in the desert stock.

After the lift, 265 tires, new plugs and Diablo Predator tune, I am getting 15.6.
If I drove 55-60, I'd probably get 18 because MDS would be kicking in.

Be carful of 2 things:
1. If you're buying a tuner solely for mpg, you need to figure in the cost of the tuner and see how long it will take you to recoup that cost at a more realistic 1mpg gain..

2. Pass off all outrageous claims as B.S. and move on. I can't imagine in what universe we would get a 6mpg boost form a tuner.
Man, with gas approaching the $4/gal threshold the ROI time frame on that programmer is getting shorter and shorter. If gas keeps heading to Looney-Tunes levels I may start looking at a tuner in a short while. Cheers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The differences between an '06 4.7 L & an '08 and up 4.7 L engine is vast. If your looking for programming on the 4.7 L then I will assume that your engine, like mine isn't really going to see more than a single mpg increase but you will see a noticeable change in power (20 hp). If you want a bump in 1 to 1.5 mpg you should be able to achieve that by ditching the stock airbox for a K&N, that adds 10 hp too, and makes your engine sound noticeably more mean from idle all the way up thru the rpm range. Something most people overlook, but will get you the most bang for your buck is making sure your tires are properly inflated, its free (in most cases at some gas stations) and can dramatically effect your gas mileage if your tires inflation runs low because it increases rolling friction which eats mileage...at 12 mpg outta your 4.7 L I'd also check your spark plugs for wear because you should be doing several mpg better than that my friend...hope these tips help.
Thank you for your tips I think I will probably start with a programmer after I see more feedback from the rest of the members then maybe the cold air intake since it is kind of pricey. I changed the spark plugs at 30k and I just have 50k so in another 10k I'll change them again see if that helps . I hope I do get a mile or two more per gallon, gas is so dang expensive but the jeep is so cool I would never change it. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Not being a Polly Anna or anything like it. I know a 6k lbs 4x4 with the aerodynamic profile of a cinder block is never going to be economical, but perhaps, in addition to good maintenance (fluids, tire pressure etc), a tuner and a light foot we should consider lightening the load, ie: ditch the third seat and the full size spare. Worried about a flat? In town use a can of fix-a-flat and get to a tire store to get a patch. Replace the spare for long trips or off-road jaunts. Between the back seat and the spare there may be a significant weight savings which, in addition to the above, may result in 2-3 mpg gains; or not.:icon_confused:

·
Banned
389 Posts
Not being a Polly Anna or anything like it. I know a 6k lbs 4x4 with the aerodynamic profile of a cinder block is never going to be economical, but perhaps, in addition to good maintenance (fluids, tire pressure etc), a tuner and a light foot we should consider lightening the load, ie: ditch the third seat and the full size spare. Worried about a flat? In town use a can of fix-a-flat and get to a tire store to get a patch. Replace the spare for long trips or off-road jaunts. Between the back seat and the spare there may be a significant weight savings which, in addition to the above, may result in 2-3 mpg gains; or not.:icon_confused:
Great tips JeepJorge. As you already know I've taken out my 3rd seat due to lack of use/need to haul gear bags and totes around to the woods playing paintball. I was considering taking out my spare too, and its funny I haven't yet because I have an emergency bag that I keep jumper cables, fix-a-flat, flares, first aid kit, etc. Guess I could ditch the extra weight off the rear of mine too. Most of my driving (90%) is done within 5 mi. of home so thats not a bad idea on dropping approx. 50 lbs. of weight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I checked my average mpg on the vehicles computer.Since I added bigger tires it says I average 8.7 miles per gallon.Thats hilly city driving.How much would the computer be off since I went with bigger tires.I am due for plugs,and plan on getting a cai.I hope it helps.

·
Banned
389 Posts
I checked my average mpg on the vehicles computer.Since I added bigger tires it says I average 8.7 miles per gallon.Thats hilly city driving.How much would the computer be off since I went with bigger tires.I am due for plugs,and plan on getting a cai.I hope it helps.
Your computer is drastically off actually. The only way I know of to correct it is to upgrade to a performance tuning device. Since I use Superchips (go read up about it and all it can do/correct for tire size etc. from their website. I'll throw up the link below for ya. Its also gonna give ya more hp/torque too....bang for buck its gonna give ya the best increases of anything else, but don't expect more than 1 mpg better gas mileage from it though.

Jeep Flashpaq

1 - 17 of 17 Posts