Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving back and forth between NJ & FL.

I can't make up my mind between a Thule roof cargo carrier or a hitch cargo carrier. My two Thule options are:

1. Thule Sidekick $166.95 (54”x25”x15”). 25" wide sounds a bit small for the XK roof right?

2. Thule Time Travel $260.95 (55.5” long, 35.2” wide, 18.2” tall, 38 lbs) sounds like the best option
And then there is the option of adding a hidden hitch with a 24x60 cargo carrier from etrailer.com. Total expense of about $284.95 (incl. lock pin). It needs to be at least 24" because I have a Thule cargo bag that is about 25" x 40". That would allow me some extra space for a cooler.

I just wonder how the Thule carrier looks on top of the Commander. Money is indeed a problem, I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible. The Sidekick is dirt cheap, but I think it will be too small and hard to reach, even with my nerf bars. Based on the aerodynamics of the Thule carriers, I dont' think it would increase gas usage right?

Any experience with these equipments, that might help? My truck will be loaded w 6 people (2 kids) so I'll need the storage space.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Right now, I have a cloth cover for the top - it was maybe $25 at WalMart some years back. It works fine for stuffing duffle bags and stuff in. Its not waterproof, so if there is a chance of rain I have to put the duffles in garbage bags. The nice thing is it release quick and easy from the truck so I can take it into hotels and not have to worry about someone taking anything. However, I also also considering a hard carrier for some of my longer travels this summer. Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a large thule bag, but that will create a lot of drag sitting on the roof for 2300 miles.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just order the Time Travel "Excursion". Found a discount code of $20.00 on orders over 200 at autoanything.com. Code is: AFF060421

1 - 5 of 5 Posts