Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let the air out of my 265/70/17 Firestone MT and put it in the stock spare location.

Yes I have a hitch and I pretty much just put a floor jack underneath it and shoved it up in there.

Is this a bad idea? Its not even level, like one side hangs lower then the other.

I also put my spacers in I haven't checked them. Should I? Wont it break the seal if I re-tighten them?

This is how the space looks like now..
The tire used to touch the bolt on every other nub...

Also if I put the spare on my factory roof rack, do you think that it will be ok with just a few straps? I have the factory roof rack basket.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The spare tire is fine down there deflated. All its going to do is constantly have the light on the dash for the TPMS. Other then that Id just make sure you have some way to inflate it if you were to get a flat tire. Or else it would defeat the purpose of even having it. But im sure you already have that taken care of.

As for the spacers, id definately check them and make sure they are tight. I dont think it would hurt anything since the torque wrench will just click right away if they didnt loosen any (depending on what type of torque wrench you have). If it was going to hurt anything to re check them i dont think they would have you do it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I fit a fully inflated destination at 265/70 in my spare but it doesn't have as much tread. I would definitely check the spacers to make sure they are still torqued.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I fit a fully inflated destination at 265/70 in my spare but it doesn't have as much tread. I would definitely check the spacers to make sure they are still torqued.
Do you have a hitch?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Spare tire / spacers

I thought about breaking the Loctite seal on the wheel spacers when I was deciding whether or not to use them. If you are real concerned, simply back off a lb or two on the torque wrench and it will snap before the seal is broken. If there is any movement, it would obviously be advisable to reapply Loctite and torque them to specs again.

Your spare won't get hurt deflated, I probably wouldn't leave it like that for years for fear of dry rot if the tire wall is forced into a bend from storing it deflated. Maye move it every once in a while so the pressure is somewhere else on the tire......or maybe that's just me being OCD. Just make sure you always have a portable compressor with you or something to reinflate if you need it. Also, I'm almost positive the low spare pressure warning is something that can be reprogrammed by the dealer. My dealer is going to charge me $50 to reprogram the speedometer so it reads accurately with bigger tires and they could kill two birds with one stone in your case by disabling the spare sensor too. Just my two cents......

Also, I assume you have still used the retainer hook that holds the tire inside of the spare tire well? It wasn't clear from your post, but I am guessing you didn't just shove it up there with the jack and leave it, did you?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
My dealer is going to charge me $50 to reprogram the speedometer so it reads accurately with bigger tires and they could kill two birds with one stone in your case by disabling the spare sensor too. Just my two cents...
Only certain size tires can be programed, there is a list on here somewhere but I do not reall where (I am sure Jeep5253 will find it). Also I do not think they can disconnect the spare tire sensor if your system reads all five tires seperately but I am not positive on that one. Do let us know since many of us are running larger tires and need to do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Only certain size tires can be programed, there is a list on here somewhere but I do not reall where (I am sure Jeep5253 will find it). Also I do not think they can disconnect the spare tire sensor if your system reads all five tires seperately but I am not positive on that one. Do let us know since many of us are running larger tires and need to do the same thing.
I think he meant they would disable the whole system to get the light off.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Here are the tire sizes that can be reset by the dealer with the Starscan tool. Otherwise you will need a calibration tool from Hypertech (http://209.12.144.2/Products/Speedometer%20Calibrator) or AEV (http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/modules/).

235/65/17 Wrangler HP
235/65/17 Eagle LS
245/65/17 Wrangler SRA
245/65/17 Wrangler HP
245/65/17 Wrangler AT/R
255/45/20 ZR20 ASP
245/60/18 Wrangler HP AW
245/45/20 ZR20 BSW performance
LT 245/65/17 Wrangler HP
LT 245/65/17 OWL A/T
235/65/17 XL BSW all season
245/65/17 R17 Bsw all season