Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had a love/hate relationship with my GetLost4x4 rear tire carrier. It works great but has worried me when pulling any trailer. Even small utility trailers needed chain and cord extensions. On and off, tire on top, tire on the back, I fiddled around with all of them.

The whole point of buying the Commander back in 07 was the third row seats, but we hadn't used them in a couple years. So out they came. A utility box went in, and that worked well. But I still didn't like the sag with a trailer, and worried about the torque a weight-distribution hitch puts on the carrier. (I know HueyPilot towed big trailers with no problems, but I worry more.)

So today the box came out and the tire went in the back. I had made a plywood base for the rear, that may still be trimmed and put back in. But for now I just put some floor mats in. All jack parts and recovery equipment fit into a bag.

I put a home-made aluminum bracket over one of the seat-mounting posts:

The front of the tire goes into the child seat tie-down. The tire does not touch the seat:

This 3rd connection is probably not needed, but it holds the wood spacer in place:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
And you don't like the original under the truck mount why?
I don't care for it myself, it's too much of a pain to get to and it's pretty useless if you have over-sized tires.

I have plans of getting a tire carrier that slides into my trailer hitch.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeah the tire mount underneath sucks. I cut some metal to fit my oversized spare. I could throw it on my roof rack but I don't like the look of that either. Rear tire carrier is the way to go but other mods are more important lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I wish you all were in California. I'll have a tire carrier for sale soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts