Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm a new member of the forum, but have been reading it since I purchased my 2007 commander sport. Yesterday I had a 2.5" front and 2" rear lift installed, it looks great and I'm very pleased. That being said, now I need tires to fill the gaps. I was thinking of getting 25570R17 for the front and 25575R17 for the rear, because it appears that the rear wheel well seems lower than the front even though its level. I know that sounds weird because i lifted the front more but I'm weird. Anyway, I know that they"ll wear differently which is fine by me, but will there be any other issues I need to worry about? I wasn't planning on adding spacers at the moment, I also don't want to do the pinch weld mod, thats why i was sticking with 25570R17 up front. Thanks in advance

·
1,993 Posts
One last thing, if I do decide to get spacers, how wide until I have a ribbing issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Go with 1" to 1.5" wheel spacers if you want spacers. The 255/70/17 should fit stock wheels at least 2" lift without spacers. But you just never know when getting that close. I was able to fit 265/75/17 (1/2" wider) without spacers which means you should be fine. Check this link out Lift tire size spec

·
Registered
111 Posts
I run 255.75 17 kenda klever mud terrains, have the 2inch rc lift with 1 inch wheel spacers, I didn't want to do the pinch weld either but I didn't have to thanks to lucking out with my tire and spacer choice.... Anything you want to do will work it all depends on how much work you want to do. Lol.. post the pics when you're rubbered up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Going through this now

Hey, I too have been following this website for several years. Using the information provided I decided to do a Rough Country 2" lift/level. That was several years ago and I'm very happy with it. At that time, I went with 245/70R 17 Wrangler SilentArmor tires. It's been exactly 50k miles and they are spent.

Based on the information provided here, I decided to go with 255/70R 17 because I was supposed to be able to use them WITHOUT spacers and NO rubbing. Well, I got the General Grabber AT2 in that size and they are definitely rubbing at full turns. I'm kind of bummed because that was supposed to be the largest size I could go without issue. I just ordered Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers and hope this will solve the rubbing problem. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it goes.

I would not recommend going above 255/70R 17. I know there are fewer options at that size (I had to special order mine). If you do go above that size tire be ready for possible additional modifications.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Ok I just did some more research, thank God for you guys. Apparently QT1 is technically AWD, so I'll go with the 255/70R17 all around. Thank you guys so much.
Only 2 wheel drive vehicles can have different sized wheels front/rear, because one axle spins freely.

AWD or 4WD or 4X4 is a subtle difference, regardless tires have to be the same diameter and spin at the same speed.

The Commander's AWD/4WD QT1 has an open differential in the XFR case, this actually would be somewhat drivable with different tires sizes, but will cause that differential to spin excessively for the different RPM from the different tire diameter. It will cause very premature and excessive wear, and eventually damage.

On the QT2/QD2, going into 4 LOW will lock the center differential, and even on soft ground where your suppose to use it, the different tire diameter will mean half your tires will always being spinning not in contact with the ground, that constant stress on the drivetrain will surely cause damage.

On part time 4X4, on another vehicle, its possible to have different size front/rear, but you'll never be able to engage 4X4, as soon as you do it, the damage will start.

On our AWD/4WD commander's that have 4WD constantly engaged, even a noticeable difference in tread depth can cause premature wear on the drivetrain. Note the O.M. says to rotate tires on every oil change, admittedly I don't, but keep an eye on tread depth and rotate them anytime I can notice a difference.

No one has mentioned the ESP and Traction Control yet, that also is a reason why you can't have different tire diameters, the different tire rpm will cause the ESP and Traction Control to misinterpret what is going on and cause it to go all haywire and do all sorts of unpredictable things. So just about any car made after 2006, you've got to have the same diameter on all 4 tires.

Going to larger diameter tires, even though they are the same on 4 corners, will still mess up the ESP/traction control, you have to go the dealer or shop that has the tool to input the new tire diameter into the ESP module so that it will work correctly.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hey, I too have been following this website for several years. Using the information provided I decided to do a Rough Country 2" lift/level. That was several years ago and I'm very happy with it. At that time, I went with 245/70R 17 Wrangler SilentArmor tires. It's been exactly 50k miles and they are spent.

Based on the information provided here, I decided to go with 255/70R 17 because I was supposed to be able to use them WITHOUT spacers and NO rubbing. Well, I got the General Grabber AT2 in that size and they are definitely rubbing at full turns. I'm kind of bummed because that was supposed to be the largest size I could go without issue. I just ordered Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers and hope this will solve the rubbing problem. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it goes.

I would not recommend going above 255/70R 17. I know there are fewer options at that size (I had to special order mine). If you do go above that size tire be ready for possible additional modifications.
Tire size varies. Lift height varies based on weight (hemi and CRD are heavier than others), I have 255/70r18's on 1.5" lift on 9" wide wheels with 5.39" backspacing and rubbing nonexistant with pinchweld mod.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Tire size varies.
Exactly, the width in the quoted size is the widest part on the sidewall, NOT the tread width, and different treads have different shoulders and different tread depths making it a different tire diameter, etc, etc. Just because one brand/model barely fits, doesn't mean another brand/model of the same size will fit. Unless you've got an 1" of clearance or more, I would NOT be confident another brand/model tire would fit of a different size.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts