Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I didnt get pictures.

I did stop to see if everyone got out of the car (they did), the police and fire had already been called.

I realized, I do not have a fire extinguisher or first aid kit (other than band aids and a diabetic kit). So any recommendations on extinguishers and how or where to mount it? I am looking at first aid kits to slide under the front seat. But I need to look into a fire extinguisher. So if you have one, what kind and how/where did you mount it?

·
Registered
473 Posts
i have an extinguisher in my cherokee and my wife has a baby extinguisher in the commander. i don't have one in my ram but do in my trailer. odd that i don't have one in the vehicle i drive the most huh?
anyway, the one in my cherokee is not mounted. it is a work vehicle that i use for transporting prisoners and serving warrants and has the mesh partition seperating the back seat from the rear cargo area. i have a plastic bin to keep stuff in plus my duty bag, a few emergency items (tow rope, 12V compressor, extra oil) and my extinguisher. the one in the commander isn't mounted either but its no bigger than a can of pepsi.
thanks for reminding me, now i have to get one for my ram.

funny story, my friends next door neighbor was working in his garage on a motorcycle. it caught on fire so he yanked the gas tank off:confused: and the fuel line pulled off with it. luckily he didn't get hurt.
my friend asked him if he would purchase a fire extinguisher for his new garage after it was built. he asked "why, is it mandatory". he wasn't the brightest bulb and unfortunately he was killed in a car crash a few years later (circa 1998).

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i have a large 20 lb CO2 fire extinguisher i need to put in my commander. finding a place to put it is a pain. i wish there were more storage bins in this thing.

we spend a lot of time up in the mountains. i like to have MRE's, coats, blankets. fire extinguisher, and a hand gun. that way if something went really bad we would be prepared.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I mounted a standard recreation (A/B/C) fire extinguisher in the middle of the back seat. (You know, if you have to run around to the back of your vehicle to get the fire extinguisher - you're probably too late. This way it's at-hand when I'm in the driver's seat.) If you look at the middle seat, there's a rise in the floor board and a bit of plastic between the seat and the floor board. The extinguisher sits between the bottom of the seat and the floor-board, horizontally attached to the plastic section. I took the wall-mount for the extinguisher, and (this part sucks) drilled a couple of marked holes, held some nuts back there with my fingers and then used small (1/4" long) bolts to hold it in place.

It's been perfectly fine since - even after a week or bouncing around rocks.

!c

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LuckyAx2 said:
I love how you posted this in Interior/Exterior Modification... I would say that is a slight understatement hahaha
I had to give this some thought as to where to place !

·
Registered
437 Posts
If my Jeep catches fire even a little bit I am letting it go. Even a small fire could cause huge amounts of damage from the smoke damage to the electrical system. It would never be the same so I say - burn baby burn. That is what insurance is for.
It still is a good idea to have an extinguisher on board though.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Added fire extinguisher today, used a "recreational" type (ABC) and placed it in the right rear storage well since the 3rd seat is never is use. It is stuffed in the slot, I am going to the marine dealer to find an extinguisher slightly smaller in size.
Debadged today too.....looks slick!

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Changed to a marine B C extinguisher. It is a little smaller and fits better.
Made by Kidde [email protected] walmart.......I was going to get flares too but couldnt decide where to mount the gun and didnt see how it would help out in traffic.....unless you pointed it at passing motorist, then I bet they would give you a wide berth!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts