Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i popped a tire. i'm looking at new ones now and a leveling kit. possibly buildling bumpers for the front and back.

anyway. i've only had it a week. i started beating it on friday and stopped saturday.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i live in forysth montana.

i was down in powell, and cody wyoming this weekend.

thanks.

this will be a mild expidition style vehicle. i've been 4 wheeling for 5 years. i took 2 years off. i just picked this up a week ago.

i used to have an 85 toyota pick-up. 33" tires, toyota supra straight 6 engine swap, 4 inches of lift, custom flatbed, custom suspension that had about 30 inches of travel.
and a welded rear axle.

so this commander is a little lacking in the articulation department. but it makes up for it in comfort, room, and that quadra trac 2 system. it works really well. as you can tell by my 3 wheeling pictures.

i'm looking at getting 245x75x17 tires for now, and just leveling or getting the TeraFlex suspension system.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
Also, until you build new bumpers... remove that silly front air dam before you catch it on something it rip it off ungracefully. NICE PICTURES by the way.
Like I did (ripped it off ungracefully). I was going to recommend that too. What is it that actually blew the tire? I love the pics, but I don't see anything too horrible - unless it was just a sharp rock.

Its nice to see someone else willing to take the XK where it belongs. =)

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm not sure how it ripped.

i've never had car tires on something i use off road. i've always had BFG's and swampers.

there was a tiny hole in the tire. so i ran over to a tire shop to have them fix it. it wasn't even flat yet. but inside the tire where the whole was, it ripped about another inch. they couldn't fix it.

they didn't know about vulcanizing tires either. so i guess i'll be getting some different tires. i'm looking at Nitto tires right now.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was over at jeepforums.com

but everyone there is gay. no one even commented on my 4 wheeling pictures.

it seems like all they worry about is gas mileage and putting 20's on their jeep. oh and did my car come with the rockford fosgate system.:mad:

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I too welcome the new comer. I am jelous of the snow. I am going north to Michigan in a couple weeks, hope to find some trails and snow then.......Holes in the sidewalls do not heal well. But you are certainly in the right place to find mods to improve the 4x4 experience of your Commander.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
4.7commander said:
i'm looking at Nitto tires right now.
Welcome to the forum. I've been looking at Nitto tires also, but they don't make them in the size that you mentioned. I was looking at getting the same size but maybe 70's, but nitto don't make them in that size (at least not according to their page).

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i found some 235 75 17's.

they came out to be about 31.5" tall.

i think they will fit the rear fine, but i'll need to level the front.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts