Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep you read that correctly, The wife & I was involved in not one but two separate crashes with the Commander today (no injuries).

I listed my roof basket on Craig's List and was heading out to Tempe to trade the roof basket for a kayak (I will post that up in another thread). As I was traveling along the freeway the driver in front of me slammed on his brakes to avail a collision with the vehicle in front of him which stopped quickly and even though I hit my brakes hard I was unable to avoid the collision.

Two seconds later a vehicle crashed into the back of the Commander!

The Highway Patrol arrived and two hours later we were all on our way to our final destinations.

Now how about the damage (photos are small as they were taken with my cell phone)...

This is the vehicle that I ran into (Yep by legal definition I was at fault even though he stopped quickly in front of me):

and this is what it did to the Commander:

It is hard to see from the photos but the driver's side of the bumper was pushed back between 1/2 and 1/2 inch, one of my light covers was cracked and the driver's fender has a little wrinkle to be repaired.

Now the second crash was a little different...

I do not know how fast that driver was moving but I do know that her air bag went off (no injuries).

Here is her car:

As you might be able to see in these tiny cell phone photos, the car was totaled.

The Commander however was a different story:

She hit me so hard that she knocked the gas can off of my Stone Soup Metal Works tire carrier and tore up my license plate. That's it!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Glad nobody got hurt and there wasn't much damage to your Commander. Was there no damage to the front bumper or winch ?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wow. The Commander is strudy. I would expect nothing less, because my 1997 GC was a tank. Glad everyone is okay.

·
Banned
389 Posts
Glad you didn't get hurt, or the folks in the other vehicles either! Wow, I knew the Commander was built like a tank but its amazing to look at the damage to the other vehicles compared to the relatively minor damage to yours, hope you get your rig fixed back up quick. I'm assuming you also didn't make it to the rack/kayak swap?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I am happy to see that no one hurt. Since some of the damage to your Jeep was the bumpers you added, how hard will these be to fix? Did you ever find out why the cars in front of you stopped so suddenly? :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Glad no one was hurt.

To those who aren't aware, a49erfan has custom steel front and rear bumpers, not the plastic wrapped bumpers that come with the Commander.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since some of the damage to your Jeep was the bumpers you added, how hard will these be to fix?
There was no damage to either bumper. The only real damage was too my license plate, extra gas can, and front driver side fender (front bumper moved back a little but no damage).

·
Premium Member
337 Posts

·
Banned
246 Posts
Glad no one was injuried. This is why proper distance should be maintained and be on the defense. Why is everyone impressed that a larger vehicle with modifcations did so well against smaller stock vehicles. If you didn't have a lift maybe the car that reared the Jeep would have had less damages, maybe the bumpers would meet instead of going under causeing more damage. If the front bumper was installed maybe it would have absorbed the impact resulting in less damage. I have heard where modifications brings a while new legal side to accidents, especially in cases with injuries. Because of the modifications the vehicle cased more damage to the other vehicle resulting in more injuries.

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/car-accidents/

·
Registered
451 Posts
I want one of those bumpers now!

Glad everyone is okay. My last accident was in our brand new Ford Windedstar, we were hit from behind by a drunk driver. I was sitting at a light and he hit us doing 25mph and it totaled our van. The van was a week old. But I hated it from day one so all is good!

·
Registered
9 Posts
So glad you're okay and no one else was injuried. I am a grandmother and do animal rescue. This is the reason I drive a large SUV - even if my car was damaged, I know my passengers and my chances of survival without injury are extremely high. Bless you!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
So glad you're okay and no one else was injuried. I am a grandmother and do animal rescue. This is the reason I drive a large SUV - even if my car was damaged, I know my passengers and my chances of survival without injury are extremely high. Bless you!
God bless you.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Thank goodness people like you are around. I did a stint in Louisiana, post Katrina, as a contractor for FEMA and some of the simply wretched and cruel conditions I saw dogs being kept in will haunt me for ever. On one occasion I had to call ASPCA to come save a puppy wrapped in chains. He was being bulked-up for dog-fighting and the chains kept weight on him to build his muscles.

I'm with you re: large SUVs. These things may cost more to own and run, but my chances of walking away get better the more I put between me and another vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Glad no one was injuried. This is why proper distance should be maintained and be on the defense. Why is everyone impressed that a larger vehicle with modifcations did so well against smaller stock vehicles. If you didn't have a lift maybe the car that reared the Jeep would have had less damages, maybe the bumpers would meet instead of going under causeing more damage. If the front bumper was installed maybe it would have absorbed the impact resulting in less damage. I have heard where modifications brings a while new legal side to accidents, especially in cases with injuries. Because of the modifications the vehicle cased more damage to the other vehicle resulting in more injuries.

Its not against the law to add steel bumpers the the front and rear of a jeep.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no laws were broken. The modifications are all street legal and the repair cost to my vehicle in minimal and that is what matters to me.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
For Pete's sake. This post sounds like another scolding. It sounds like an overbearing mother nagging her kids or browbeating her husband with everything negative she can think of. Jeesh.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Its not against the law to add steel bumpers the the front and rear of a jeep.
State laws vary, and it state law that applies to a vehicle you own. As I understand it, Federal law only applies to building and selling the vehicle (interstate commerce), once you buy it and register it, state law takes over.

Many states simply pass a law saying the Federal Code applies, so in those states you can argue its still defacto federal law/code.

Yes, you can get into a liberterain vs safety debate when it comes to vehicle modification, with some states going too far and other NOT doing enough IMO.

AFA, steel bumpers, the plastic bumper cover has a steel bumper underneath it. Depends on the design, some the plastic cover is just cosemetic others there is a stryofoam insert to absorb energy, and that is just to prevent damage in parking lot, bump bumpers scenarios.

Bumper height and lifting vehicles is part of that debate, but the fact that OEM bumpers at OEM ride height, don't line up on many vehicles, sorta negates the argument against lifting vehicles.

Glad no one was injured, good luck. BTW, I'd call it a chain reaction accident, hit front and rear, when you said you had two accidents, I envisioned you getting in a totally new 2nd accident before getting the vehicle home.

Yes, I've gotten bit by folks stopping on the high speed roads when they shouldn't also, its technically your fault. BUT, the person that rear-ended you, it should have been their fault, NOT your's, correct?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I've gotten bit by folks stopping on the high speed roads when they shouldn't also, its technically your fault. BUT, the person that rear-ended you, it should have been their fault, NOT your's, correct?
Correct, since they wrote it as two accidents I was responsible for the vehicle I hit and the car that hit me was responsible for the second accident.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts