Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today I had to go "test" the rails and make sure everything was tight and good to go. We have some tank trails nearby for the Reserve Army units here. It isn't much, but it is close by.

Before the fun...

Not a deep puddle...

Now, next to the not deep puddle was a little lane that looked like it would be fun to play in...

When I first hit the lane, the ice broke (about 3 inches thick, which I know because of the chunk that was left on top of a skid plate when I got out), and the front end dropped. At that moment I looked across the puddle for a tree because I thought I might need the winch. I got halfway across and stopped dead, rooster tails of water spraying into the air. Good thing I had a solid front bumper because the XK was more of an ice breaker than off-roader at that time. I think it was actually the piled up ice in front of the Jeep, rather than the lack of traction, that actually stopped it. I tossed it into reverse and back out without problem. After reviewing the pictures, I should have noticed that something was out of the ordinary for that lane. There were bumpers and other plastic vehicle body parts frozen in the ice.

In the ice bath...

The lane AFTER I broke the ice... not my parts in the water...

Going up a small wet hill...

My Signal Frog was a casualty for the day, decapitated somewhere by a branch probably. I saw him lying on the ground as we were getting ready to leave...

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sometimes, even being the camera girl IN the Jeep isn't safe...

Video will follow eventually.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Awesome! Looks like fun.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Cool video ! (no pun intended)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Looks fun!
I bet the camera girl wasnt too happy about getting soaked!

·
Registered
807 Posts
video??? i have red x, but i saw the link is a youtube video, so i just went on youtube and found the video from your account.

It looked like you were haveing fun!!!!
were you ever in 4 low?
looked like you had the ESP off. is that right? full off?...
The water hole was deep....good thing you didnt get stuck and have to get out....and were able to back out....you would have have a cab full of water.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Very nice vid ,,, the sound of the Hemi is wonderful :)

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Looks like you were having a really good time, thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looked like you were haveing fun!!!!
were you ever in 4 low?
looked like you had the ESP off. is that right? full off?...
The water hole was deep....good thing you didnt get stuck and have to get out....and were able to back out....you would have have a cab full of water.
Yes, it was in 4LOW, all ESP off - well, I didn't pull the fuse, but as off as you can get by holding the ESP button. My wife was also concerned about the water seeping in and the fact that she could hear the exhaust bubble up because the tailpipe was under water too. When the Jeep first broke through the ice, I looked across the puddle for a winch point. Glad I didn't have to test it out because it wasn't that big!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
When I first hit the lane, the ice broke (about 3 inches thick, which I know because of the chunk that was left on top of a skid plate when I got out)

Did you check your rad :(

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
My wife was also concerned about the water seeping in and the fact that she could hear the exhaust bubble up because the tailpipe was under water too.
The door seals are really good. I have only had a small amount of water come in past the seals when I was working my way out of a mud hole. The right rear door let about 1/4 cup of water in and that was over a span of a min or two. I like when the exhaust is under water. First it means that I must be having fun and second it sounds like a boat exhaust with that "blub blub blub" sound. Nice video and pics.

Also you need to change your signature, your GL44 rock rails are not a future mod anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We did have some water seeping in also - not a not, but some. Only on her side.

As for tanks, not on these tank trails, but in Colorado, I was stuck behind a patrol of M1s, Bradleys and Paladins that were heading out to the range - took forever to get around!

Checked the radiator when I got home, all is well. The GL4x4 skid plat broke up the ice, but some small chunks slipped around. There was an unpleasant sound when I first came out of the ice, which I assume was a chunk of ice somewhere, but once we went up a hill, it was quiet - I assume it fell out.

·
Registered
807 Posts
sooo....the question now is.....didnt you got there to test the rock rails?....hehe....did they work...or did you play the whole time?....hehe

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I almost tested them. There was a rock on the side my wife was worried about, but the tires held on the slope and we didn't bang into it. I can say for certain that the rails are still nice and tight and didn't move a mm. Also, they are not effective pontoons. Good thing they weren't designed to be.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Looks like a fun time. I was also going to ask about the rockers... We're counting on you to put it to the test so get back out there and find that rock!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts