Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm returning to the Jeep community after seven years. I started out with a 98 Wrangler when I was 16, and I just traded in my 2010 Camaro on a 2010 Commander Sport today. I like the clean look of no emblems, so I hope to do this subtle modification very soon. Here are my questions...

Has anyone removed all of the emblems?
Are they all held on by tape?
Do any have alignment holes behind them?

I'm interested in removing JEEP from the hood and rear liftgate handle. I'd also like to remove the 4x4 emblem on the liftgate.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
Hello,

I'm returning to the Jeep community after seven years. I started out with a 98 Wrangler when I was 16, and I just traded in my 2010 Camaro on a 2010 Commander Sport today. I like the clean look of no emblems, so I hope to do this subtle modification very soon. Here are my questions...

Has anyone removed all of the emblems?
Are they all held on by tape?
Do any have alignment holes behind them?

I'm interested in removing JEEP from the hood and rear liftgate handle. I'd also like to remove the 4x4 emblem on the liftgate.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
I haven't debadged but I know there are no holes and the letters are held on by tape. Some members have used fishing line to remove them.

·
Registered
696 Posts
There are no holes but on the rear liftgate above license plate there is something when you remove "JEEP" that looks like the end of two screws or bolts threaded in from opposite side. They are flush and symetrical so nobody notices. I think you can see this in some of my pics.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect. I appreciate the quick responses, very much. I can already tell I'm going to like this forum.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Debadging was one of my first mods.
I used fishing line and "sawed" through the glue that
holds all of the badges on. If you have a hair dryer, that helps
soften the glue.

When it was done, I used goof off to remove residue.

On the lift handle, the is still a shadow from the original letters.
I have sanded and painted the rear lift handle and it "Jeep" is still there.
Barely visible, but it is there if you look at it in the right light.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I actually had the best luck removing the emblems when the temp was cooler, and the glue was more "brittle" and came off in a single pull. Used a sharpened credit card edge to get each emblem started, then pulled firmly and carefully by hand. GooGone for the touch up sticky spots, and a good coat of wax to finish.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the help. I apologize that I created another thread on debadging, but I used the search feature first and didn't quite find the answers I was looking for.

I've debadged all of my vehicles with the old hair dryer, fishing line, and goo gone trick, but my last vehicle got me nervous. After removing the rear bowtie, I was greeted by two alignment holes, so I had to get a solid black "trunk blackout" strip to cover it up.

Unfortunately I don't have a garage at my house, but first thing Saturday morning I'll be driving to my buddy's place and using his garage to debadge the Jeep and spray tint all of the lenses.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have used Windex to soften adhesive. I sprayed the flex fuel emblem and let it stand for about 30-45 seconds. I then pried one corner up with a plastic spatula and continued spraying as I peeled the emblem off. Sprayed a couple small dots of adhesive that stayed with the windex and polished off. Replaced flex emblem with retro V8 emblem. Done.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I used some dental floss, a hair dryer, and some Goo-Gone to take off my 4x4 badge. Worded great, except my garage smelled like Goo-Gone for a few days lol.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I cant believe I have never heard of the fishing line trick. Here is a tool you guys can use. Its called a " stripe eraser ". It has a threaded stud on one side that screws into a an air tool like a cut - off wheel tool or such. This thing is the cat's ass for removing pin stripes and double sided tape. It will not harm the paint EXCEPT on a plastic bumper cover, where it actually damages the plastic. But you never have to use it on a bumper anyway. This is nice to have a dedicated tool in the garage with a stripe eraser on it. You guys may only use it now and again, but when you need one, its nice to have one. I use mine every day at work and the eraser lasts me a couple weeks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Smart-Eraser-Pad-Pin-Stripe-Removal-Tool-5-16-24-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ea3a7be9aQQitemZ200314175130QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

1 - 10 of 10 Posts