Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since this thread was requested, I am going to write a how-to for those of you that have not encounted this problem yet.This is not going to be a thread on how to avoid getting water in your engine in the first place, but what to do if it happens.

Unfortunately I have hydrolcked two engines in the past and my experience is that the engine will stall out prior to the water actually harming your engine. DO NOT try to start the engine back up as you will snap a rod or cause harm to the engine. Water does not compress.

The first thing you want to do is have someone pull you out of the water hole if thats where you stalled out. Just simply put the vehicle in neutral and hope and pray they have the power to get you out. Once you are out of the water there are a few things that you must do prior to turning the key again.

1. Pull out your air filter and either replace it with a new one or let the old one air dry. At this time, try to get any water out of the intake that might still be sitting in there.

2. Pull out all of your spark plugs. They can be reused later but i would recommend installing new ones when the time comes.

3. At this time turn the engine over for a few seconds (with the spark plugs still out). Any excess water in the engine should shoot out the spark plud holes.

4. Next drain and replace your oil/filter as there is mostlikely water in the oil.

5. Reinstall your spark plugs at this time and air filter if you have not done so already.

6. Now you can finally start your engine.

If you didnt cause any damage inside the engine then you should be good to go.

I have actually done this before and it worked. Some of you might have done it a different way, but this way worked for me. If you want to add any input on your experiences then go for it.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Thanks for the writeup. What happens if you notice water above your pistons when you take out the spark plugs? Do you try stuffing the corner of a rag to suck it up?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
That's why you turn the engine over for a few seconds with the plugs out, that will push the water out through the plug holes.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Thanks for your effort :)

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
CrzCajun said:
Thanks for the writeup. What happens if you notice water above your pistons when you take out the spark plugs? Do you try stuffing the corner of a rag to suck it up?
If you have a lot of water inside the combustion chamber, you'll surely hydrolock your engine. That's where you bend/break stuff like valves and pistons. If you just have a little bit of water, it will evaporate/burn off almost immediately when the engine is started.

That's why it's a good idea to change your oil AFTER you get the engine running properly again. Otherwise you can contaminate your oil with the leftover water in the engine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
In the old days they used to say to pour an ounce or so of oil in each chamber after plugs pulled. wonder if thats still good advice. john

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
if you poured the oil in each cylinder and then turned the engine over, the oil is going to spray out....fast! If you do that with all 6 or 8 cylinders, you will have an oil bath, polluting the water, ground, and your self.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It all depends on how much water you suck in. You will know almost right away if its fixable or if your about to drop $4000.00 on a new engine. Best thing to do is get the engine shut off immediately before you damage anything. Then just do what i said and let everything dry out.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It is a good idea to put a very small amount of oil in the spark plug holes before you replace your plugs with either the cleaned or the new ones. One you get water in your engine the oil that normally protects the walls of the combustion chamers has been removed by the water. Without a small amount of oil its similar to starting up an engine without oil in it. As long as you don't put in too much you will simply burn it off when the engine starts.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
4.7commander said:
i've never sucked any in a vehicle. i don't want to. it sounds like it would make me cry.
Engine lover ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts