Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Phunkeydude has a really sharp Commander. It has huge tires, a 4" Superlift, and all kinds of goodies. I think it is the nicest Commander I have seen and he is a good guy.

Now having said that, Guess who broke down on the trail today.

Now I like to tell stories and some of them are true.

Maybe it was the wheelies he was doing on the slick rock ledges.
Maybe it was running over that Pink Jeep like he was in a Monster truck show.
Maybe it was just Karma for getting lost a couple of times.

However, I like to think that he was showing his young son how to overcome a problem and rescue himself and his son from a difficult situation.

He did manage to break down in a intersection of two major trails and completely block both trails. We had Pink Jeeps and Commanders stacked up like 727"s over O"Hara.

But it was not just a simple breakdown, Oh No, Phunkeydude managed to end up with the right front tire laying on the ground next to his Commander with the ball joint in pieces. He and his compadres managed to cobble it back together with a grade 8 bolt, baling wire and duck tape. He eventually made it home and I am sure that he and his son have a tale to tell thier friends.

Picture of His Commander, (around the time he was doing wheelies)

Picture of Phunkeydude, ( He was a good sport after such a stressfull day )

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I think that this might have been the Pink Jeep that he ran over, but I am not sure because they were everywhere like ants at a picnic.

I think I heard him on the CB saying "Your not gonna beat me thru the intersection" and " Biggest Tires has Right of Way"

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
LOL Huey Pilot!!!

This is the wheel that the ball joint failed on later in the day...

And by your look off in the distance, you knew I was asking for trouble.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, I said some of them are true.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
By the way, if you look closely at that pick above, I have air under the driver's rear tire and under the passenger's front tire...

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that guy with the camera in your New Mexican Wheelie shot, (front right and left rear off the ground) might have been sabotaging your ball joint.

Also, There is no way we were going to follow you over that cliff...lol

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
HueyPilotVN said:
I think that guy with the camera in your New Mexico Wheelie shot, (front right and left rear off the ground) might have been sabotaging your ball joint.

Also, There is no way we were going to follow you over that cliff...lol
Ya know, that was OldMac with the camera. He kept saying go back, now forward, now back, ok forward. And then as I recall, he was the first to the scene with his camera to capture pics of the damage he caused. ;)

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice touch. Adding the coat hanger and duck tape after you got home. Now show them the real picture of what is under the duck tape...lol

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Ok, the truth. I had these 4" bolts that held the Hi-Jack onto the Tiregate so we decided to see if that would fit and hold the upper control arm to the Knuckle. And it did, so I drove off the trial with just a bolt in place of where the ball joint was. Once off the trail HueyPilot had picked up a collection of washers, nuts and bolts from Ace hardware so I created a temporary ball joint to drive the vehicle back to Prescott. Now if only OldMacdonald would wake up and post the picks he took of my wheel flopped over...

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Moral of the story:

Grade 8 bolt to fix the whoops..........couple bucks

Washers to replace ball joint.............couple bucks

Showing your 7 year old son that you can save the day....PRICELESS

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I think the field repair would have lasted longer than it did, but I am thrilled that we were able to fix it enough to get you home without having to have a pink jeep or hummer pull you out of there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm workin' on the pics right now.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Okay, not sure how you posted those, but don't do that again.... Too big to look at!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts