Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing our 2007 Commander we took a drive to Disney Orlando Florida. While the Jeep was in cruise control, I went to relax my right leg and hit the key fob which moved the key and turned off the vehicle while traveling at 70 Mph. You talk about freaking my wife out. All the lights on the dash went on all the power went off. Luckily I was cool and just turned the ignition back to on.

I think the keys should be on the steering column as this happedned twice while on vacation. I called Chrysler and wrote and email and letter, but not response. Maybe when someone gets killed, they'll do something.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
It isnt much help, but turn the key so the ring is on the top side. You wont hit it anymore.....there are several threads on here about that..........and it is frustrating. I am new to this forum as well, ( about 1 month) but i have learned reams of information about the Commander from here.....But the one thing this forum does is provide info on modifications to the commander.....if(when) a fix comes out, it will be posted here. I have thought seriously about moving my ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I would imagine with enough complaints and heaven forbid a serious accident, Jeep will recall and retro fit with that style ignition.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
In the meantime, would it be safer to just keep your ignition key separate from the rest of your keys to avoid hitting it with your knee?

Pretty soon I think all vehicle will be pushbutton start, and keys won't even be needed to start the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I too have no other keys attached to my XK key and I have never hit it, and I am 6' tall. I think you have to be fairly close and it is probley not a real common problem, but when it happens it is serious and someone will eventually get injuried if even by only over reacting to the situation out of not knowing how to correct it on the fly.

·
Registered
717 Posts
RedCommander said:
You hit it TR4. I carry the jeep key with no other keys. I never have a problem. Plus the added benefit of not having a pocket full of keys.
Well this is one for the books. People agreeing with TR4!! I also keep my Jeep key separate and have never hit my knee on it. I'm 6'4" :D

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yeah, I'm 6'6", and I only hit it one time. I was in a parking lot half out of my seat turning around to get something out of the back seat.

I really don't think I could hit it while driving. I have my seat too far back. However, I could see shorter people, or someone with an adult riding behind them being able to hit the key with their knee.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I am 6'..so compared to some of you I am short....but I have hit the key a couple times. I have a ring on my Jeep key with my office door key....I have to turn it up so it doesnt dangle and hit my knee which.................

·
Registered
16 Posts
ignition turns off at 70 mph

happened to me last week with my wife and 2 kids in the car. i put it in neutral and turned the engine back on but after i put it in drive it did not feel like it was getting any power to the wheels so i coasted to the shoulder. my wife was white as a ghost and with good reason, there were loads of tractor trailer 40' semis behind us that could have made the commander an oil stain. chrysler should fix this before someone gets killed. i'm 6'. this is the 3rd time this has happened to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts