Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back Again, with more insight on what I've read to be a common issue with not only the commander but Grand Cherokee of the same year (06-07). I've had on-going starting issues for well over a year. Very intermittent and random. The Jeep would go 3 months no issue then walk out to go to work in the morning 1 click no start, Let it sit for a day go out it starts right up. Moving forward to more recent, the problem was happening more and would take longer to start. Again all power is good, good battery all that. So the last time it doesn't start I have it towed to the shop 100 feet across the road from the gas station it's stuck at.Luckily it continues not to start and we move forward with the starter replacement. I chose to have a mechanic do this because its a bitch to get to, after reading other's experience and not having access to a lift I forked over the $280 for repair. Fix is done I go to pick it up it starts strong everything seems ok. Next day starts again in the morning all is good... until lunch go to start and same 1 click no start. Buddy at work climbs under and wiggles the main power wires going into the starter as I turn the key. Boom fires right up. I did this five times in two days to start the car, leading me to the conclusion that the way to short wiring harness these cars are notorious for having and another reason DIY starter replacement is tough was the issue!!.To wrap up, the wire harness going into the starter is very short and barely has enough slack to the starter. My issue was the connections in the plug, they had been pulled and stretched making for a weak connection. I returned to the mechanic and they have extended this connection. Issue solved. I will say my car has 155k on it and starter had never been replaced so I'm ok with the end result. The Commander lives to fight another day

Here are some links that I find helpful for other things to look at regarding the no start.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts