Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Commander (XH) 3.0CRD
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since owning my 2007 3.0 V6 CRD, I have had a problem with the ignition key and central locking. The car thinks that the ignition key is inserted, even when it isn't. With the key removed, upon opening door, I get the warning 'bings'. Added to this, I can also remove the key in the running position. As the car thinks that the ignition key is inserted, when it isn't, I cannot operate the central locking from the door key. To lock all the doors of the car, I have to get back in, lock it using the door C/L switch, then get out and lock the drivers door using the key.

Now, my car had not had the P41 recall done (ignition barrel and switch) but I had that done at the main dealer recently, but the above problem persists. The dealer is adamant that the barrel was replaced a month or so ago (at the time, they did not have the switch in stock, so that was fitted yesterday).

Surely a new barrel should not allow the key to be removed in the run position? What mechanism does the lock/barrel/switch use to detect that a key is inserted?

·
Administrator
7,689 Posts
Since owning my 2007 3.0 V6 CRD, I have had a problem with the ignition key and central locking. The car thinks that the ignition key is inserted, even when it isn't. With the key removed, upon opening door, I get the warning 'bings'. Added to this, I can also remove the key in the running position. As the car thinks that the ignition key is inserted, when it isn't, I cannot operate the central locking from the door key. To lock all the doors of the car, I have to get back in, lock it using the door C/L switch, then get out and lock the drivers door using the key.

Now, my car had not had the P41 recall done (ignition barrel and switch) but I had that done at the main dealer recently, but the above problem persists. The dealer is adamant that the barrel was replaced a month or so ago (at the time, they did not have the switch in stock, so that was fitted yesterday).

Surely a new barrel should not allow the key to be removed in the run position? What mechanism does the lock/barrel/switch use to detect that a key is inserted?
@Bumpydog ;

I would think that should all be controlled by the ignition switch, which should have been replaced when they did they P41 recall.

If they did the P41 recall properly, you should have received a new set of key FOBs.

Did they give you a new set of Key FOBs when they were done?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Bumpydog ;

I would think that should all be controlled by the ignition switch, which should have been replaced when they did they P41 recall.

If they did the P41 recall properly, you should have received a new set of key FOBs.

Did they give you a new set of Key FOBs when they were done?
Thanks for replying. They definitely did change the ignition switch (the plastic-cased module at the rear of the barrel) today, as they gave me the removed part. I have heard of others who have received new keys/fobs but the P41 instruction sheet (attached) I have only mentions these parts as being supplied...

Quantity Description
1 Cylinder, Lock
5 Tumbler, #1 size
5 Tumbler, #2 size
5 Tumbler, #3 size
5 Tumbler, #4 size
2 Pin, Lock Cylinder
2 Spring, Lock Cylinder Spring
11 Springs, Tumbler
1 Grease, Tumbler

The instructions detail the changing of the tumblers and springs, but there is no mention of replacement keys.

The dealer also insists that the barrel/lock was changed when they did the P23 recall a couple of months ago, but that doesn't explain why I can remove the key in the 'run' position (as I have always been able to). As explained above, the ignition always believes that the key is inserted, even when it isn't and that prevents the central locking working correctly. Is it likely to be the SKREEM unit that carries out the key detection?

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,689 Posts
Thanks for replying. They definitely did change the ignition switch (the plastic-cased module at the rear of the barrel) today, as they gave me the removed part. I have heard of others who have received new keys/fobs but the P41 instruction sheet (attached) I have only mentions these parts as being supplied...

Quantity Description
1 Cylinder, Lock
5 Tumbler, #1 size
5 Tumbler, #2 size
5 Tumbler, #3 size
5 Tumbler, #4 size
2 Pin, Lock Cylinder
2 Spring, Lock Cylinder Spring
11 Springs, Tumbler
1 Grease, Tumbler

The instructions detail the changing of the tumblers and springs, but there is no mention of replacement keys.

The dealer also insists that the barrel/lock was changed when they did the P23 recall a couple of months ago, but that doesn't explain why I can remove the key in the 'run' position (as I have always been able to). As explained above, the ignition always believes that the key is inserted, even when it isn't and that prevents the central locking working correctly. Is it likely to be the SKREEM unit that carries out the key detection?
If they replaced everything you listed, you should have received new Key Fobs.

I don't believe your original keys would function any longer, with the lock & all of the tumblers replaced.

I received a brand new set of Key Fobs, when the ignition switch was replaced in my 2008 XK.

EDIT: Actually my recall was the P57 recall and they replaced the wireless ignition node & provided a new set of Key Fobs.

See the attached;

That being said, I still don't understand how they could replace the cylinder lock, all of the tumblers & pin lock cylinder, without giving you a new set of keys.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EDIT: Actually my recall was the P57 recall and they replaced the wireless ignition node & provided a new set of Key Fobs.

See the attached;

That being said, I still don't understand how they could replace the cylinder lock, all of the tumblers & pin lock cylinder, without giving you a new set of keys.
I guess that they change the individual tumblers so that the original ignition key can be used (as it means that you don't have different ignition and door keys). When I check the Mopar recall information site, it doesn't show P57 as being an applicable recall for my VIN (XH).

I might have to pay a visit to my friendly neighborhood locksmith to get them to take a look at it, as there are clearly two problems with my ignition barrel/switch/lock.

There are only two Jeep dealers in Ireland and both of them are winding down their association with Chrysler/Jeep.

Product Azure Rectangle Font Material property

·
Administrator
7,689 Posts
I guess that they change the individual tumblers so that the original ignition key can be used (as it means that you don't have different ignition and door keys). When I check the Mopar recall information site, it doesn't show P57 as being an applicable recall for my VIN (XH).

I might have to pay a visit to my friendly neighborhood locksmith to get them to take a look at it, as there are clearly two problems with my ignition barrel/switch/lock.

There are only two Jeep dealers in Ireland and both of them are winding down their association with Chrysler/Jeep.
I'd be curious to hear what you find out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be curious to hear what you find out.
The other option I have is to procure a complete ignition barrel/lock/switch from a dismantlers (if they have the keys) and replace mine wholesale. I assume that Jscan will allow me to program any replacement key to the car?

·
Administrator
7,689 Posts
The other option I have is to procure a complete ignition barrel/lock/switch from a dismantlers (if they have the keys) and replace mine wholesale. I assume that Jscan will allow me to program any replacement key to the car?
I don't know the answer to that question unfortunately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, I now realise the situation regarding new keys/fobs with the P57 recall. It appears that the ignition systems changed for the 08-10 models. Rather than using the SKREEM unit fitted to 05-07 models (mine is a late 07 build) the 08-10 Commanders use a Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) which does require key and fob replacements. P57 is not applicable to earlier Commanders.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,456 Posts
On my 06 they did not replace the keys. Also they only replaced the mechanical parts and nothing electrical. You may have an electrical problem as the problems you see could be caused by an electrical malfunction. You might try unplugging the back of the switch and re seating it to get a better connection although with the work on the switch may have already done this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On my 06 they did not replace the keys. Also they only replaced the mechanical parts and nothing electrical. You may have an electrical problem as the problems you see could be caused by an electrical malfunction. You might try unplugging the back of the switch and re seating it to get a better connection although with the work on the switch may have already done this.
If yours was replaced as part of the P41 recall, they would have also changed the ignition switch module (TRW58024X) on the back of the ignition barrel. On mine, the ignition switch would have been reseated when it was replaced, but maybe the SKREEN/WCM connection might not have been done. I am still trying to get to the bottom of why my ignition thinks that the key is inserted, when it isn't. I can't see how it's a function of the WCM (using RFID) as it would still 'see' the key when removed from the ignition and in close proximity. However, it doesn't appear that there is any mechanical switch that detects the presence of a key in the ignition.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If yours was replaced as part of the P41 recall, they would have also changed the ignition switch module (TRW58024X) on the back of the ignition barrel. On mine, the ignition switch would have been reseated when it was replaced, but maybe the SKREEN/WCM connection might not have been done. I am still trying to get to the bottom of why my ignition thinks that the key is inserted, when it isn't. I can't see how it's a function of the WCM (using RFID) as it would still 'see' the key when removed from the ignition and in close proximity. However, it doesn't appear that there is any mechanical switch that detects the presence of a key in the ignition.
Yes, I do now have 4Low. I didn't before, but had P73 done a few months ago. It looks like the P41 recall was done on my car but not logged as being done on the Mopar database, so now it has been done twice (whether it needed it or not). It looks like the switch itself isn't responsible for detecting the presence (or otherwise) of the key in the ignition.

Just to humor my sanity, do the 'open door' warning chimes occur by simply opening the door to get in i.e. no key in the ignition? Shouldn't the door key open and close all five doors? Currently, I have to unlock the drivers door, and unlock the remaining doors using the drivers door c/l button. Conversely, to lock all the doors, I have to be sat in the drivers seat with the doors shut and depress the c/l button to lock all doors (with me in it), then open the drivers door and lock it from the outside. As you can imagine, this is a PITA. This is the assumption I am making about the ignition assuming that the key is still inserted.

Changing the subject, I was also getting C123F (steering angle comparative performance) plus the ESP/BAS/TC lights (with no wheel sensor codes). The dealer recalibrated the steering sensor and extinguished the lights. 24 hours later, they are back on. The dealer said that the tracking is out but the steering wheel is now central (whereas before it was out by about 5 degrees or so after a prior alignment). I will get the alignment/tracking redone, but not hopeful that it will clear the lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts