Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my used 06 Limited with a Hemi about 2 years ago. My electrical issues started about 6 months ago.

1. Dash Cluster and Headlights Blinking on and off ~ I read about this on this forum. It was very intermittent. When it got really bad, the BAS and ESP lights would come on and stay on until the Jeep was restarted. Although it "seemed" to be sometimes triggered by bumps -- such as a speed bump in the road -- that was too inconsistent. I thought about outside temp, raining or not, humidity -- nothing was consistent. Also -- try as hard I could -- I could not "create" the problem. Reached underneath the dash -- jiggled the wires and the keys and could not create the problem.

Most (but not all) on this forum suggested an ignition switch change. Because the forums were not unanimous, I was hesitant. Apparently a wire running along the radiator cross-beam can cause this problem also. People at the parts counter said there was no way it could be the ignition. Afterall -- the engine never even stuttered. At one point awhile back, they talked me out of it and recommended a shop specializing in electrical problems. I never called the shop. More, I am generally opposed to "throwing parts" at problems.

2. Rain Sensing Wipers -- For all practical purposes, these became useless. When they engaged, they would wipe a couple of times. Soon, however, they would wipe and come up on the windshield higher than usual -- about 2 or 3 inches higher. Once there, they would not wipe again until I changed the setting. Went into the EVIC settings and disabled them so that my wipers worked like traditional wiper delays and that worked fine. Still -- I liked and wanted the rain-sensing wipers. On this forum -- I have read about changing the wiper motors and the relay. People have had success with both approaches. Was not looking forward to throwing parts at this either.

After a particularly embarrassing trip home at night (blinking headlights and all) and high level of frustration, bought an ignition switch and changed it the next day. Instructions are also somewhere on this forum.

That has been about 3 weeks ago --- so far --- BOTH problems are fixed. Although the ignition switch fix for the blinking cluster is found elsewhere on this forum, this is the only time -- as far as I could tell by searching -- that it has been reported that the ignition switch fixed the rain sensing wipers.

I just wanted to relay the story to help others and say thank you for the forums. They really helped me a great deal.

:clap::rocker:

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
Just goes to show you that the long time members here know what they are talking about, doesn't it ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts