Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scheduled for the Ignition Switch Recall, and the service people say I will have to turn in my keys and I get new ones. So what are they doing about the door locks?

What do they really do on this recall?
The key cylinder can be pulled without major effort on some cars if the right key is in the lock, so I wonder what is going on about this.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
john, what year or what type keydo you have? I have an 06 XK and did not get new keys with my recall, but the newer models do get new keys.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 06. The key is a regular looking key. The system lets me program a new key if "voted" in by the two keys it came with.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have an 06. The key is a regular looking key. The system lets me program a new key if "voted" in by the two keys it came with.
What they do is make you push in your key to turn on or off your XK. The reason for his recall was long legged folks were hitting the key and causing the vehicle to shut down while in route. I never had aproblem and it took a while to get use to pushing in the key. I am use to it now.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes correct- for an 06 you will not receive new keys just the switch mod. I had my 06 done - hate it - difficult to turn on and off even pushing it in while turning. The spring is very strong and it makes it difficult to turn the switch.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bumped my wad of keys with my knee and stalled out in the middle of a u-turn once. I can just see some future buyer of the vehicle suing me over this. Next vehicle will probably be an old school pre-everything vehicle. It might get crummy mileage (like I already get), but having thousands of dollars vs new can buy tons of gas. Plus the old school car will go up in value.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I received new Key FOBIKS when I had my Ignition switch recall done but mine is an '08.

Not sure what model year is where they switched over from the the regular keys to the Key FOBIKS - it was either the 07 or 08 model year.
The keys were changed in the 2008 model year. :wink3:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an 06 and didn't get new keys either. I got used to having to push the key to turn, no problem. However I did have 2 problems as they were performing this recall along with the transfer case recall. One window module failed and my cruise control stopped working. They address the window module but refused to make good on the cruise control. Said it was a coincidence and not on them.

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
The keys were changed in the 2008 model year. :wink3:
Yep, Jeep made some significant changes in 2008 not just to Commanders but to the Grand Cherokees and Wranglers as well.

Some of the common nagging issues from 06 & 07 were resolved in the 08 models, there were also some significant Horsepower jumps in 2008 due to some re-designed engine intakes and an additional spark plug per cylinder - at least in the 4.7L & I believe in the Hemi's as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts