Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we finally are situated in our new home in New Mexico but still unpacking. However got back up on line last night.
Our drive from S. Fla to N. Mexico was VERY COLD. We spent a night in Mississippi which we were told set a state record.
Anyhow, trip was 1985 miles. Hemi Powered Commander was HEAVILY loaded down including packed to the ceiling plus an 11 cubic feet of storage in a Gizmo attached to the receiver in the rear.
Drove the speed limit the entire way which was 70 to Western Texas then 80. Averaged 16.9mpg, which, considering the weight and all I thought was pretty decent. john

·
Registered
452 Posts
John said:
Well, we finally are situated in our new home in New Mexico but still unpacking. However got back up on line last night.
Our drive from S. Fla to N. Mexico was VERY COLD. We spent a night in Mississippi which we were told set a state record.
Anyhow, trip was 1985 miles. Hemi Powered Commander was HEAVILY loaded down including packed to the ceiling plus an 11 cubic feet of storage in a Gizmo attached to the receiver in the rear.
Drove the speed limit the entire way which was 70 to Western Texas then 80. Averaged 16.9mpg, which, considering the weight and all I thought was pretty decent. john
Congrats on the long journey. That wasn't bad at all. I bet the ride was comfortable though. I have to hand it to the HEMI...on a very good day, driving 'straight freeway' from Houston to Austin at least, with just one additional passenger and some small carry-ons, I can get 21mpg; on a bad note, speeding and doing about 75-85mph, I'd get about 14.7mpg ....such odd numbers huh?!?!?! Rest up, b/c now you have some nice terrain to take the XK out. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Welcome back. Glad to hear that you and your family has a safe trip.

·
Registered
139 Posts
XKJeep06 said:
Congrats on the long journey. That wasn't bad at all. I bet the ride was comfortable though. I have to hand it to the HEMI...on a very good day, driving 'straight freeway' from Houston to Austin at least, with just one additional passenger and some small carry-ons, I can get 21mpg; on a bad note, speeding and doing about 75-85mph, I'd get about 14.7mpg ....such odd numbers huh?!?!?! Rest up, b/c now you have some nice terrain to take the XK out. Enjoy!
And if I remember right gas in NM has no ethanol...more power and mileage to the HEMI!

·
Registered
37 Posts
John said:
New Mexico huh, i'm out here in Clovis NM, few hours away from you, i'm on the Texas border....welcome..............

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pnstps said:
New Mexico huh, i'm out here in Clovis NM, few hours away from you, i'm on the Texas border....welcome..............
Well, I'm in Las Cruces also not too far from the Texas border (about 45 miles0.

Now I have to fly back and then drive my TJ out. Not looking to that at all. But first have to complete unpacking. Still have 50 or so boxes to go. john

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i have to start packing soon also. what a pain.

i start my new job monday. my house is in closing with the purchasers right now. we are supposed to close on or before Feb.12.

my wife is going to stay here with the kids (Montana) while i'm away in wyoming working. she is going to pack most of the stuff. then its renting a U-Haul and moving our crap once more. i'm staying in Wyoming until i die this time. i had to move to Montana for job experience. now that i have it i'm off to a better job.

and while i'm down in wyoming i have to work on my taxes and business crap. and find a new house or place to stay.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At least your house is sold. Ours in Fla. is on the market. I would have never dreamed it would be a difficult sale as in a prime neighborhood etc etc but Fla is really slow now real estate wise. john

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i thought mine would be on the market for months. it was on the market less then a week.

hope yours sells soon! You need to change your location on your profile now. i'm hoping to visit NM on of these days! it looks like a cool place.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I moved here primarily for the offroading, the nice climate and the friendly people. Been coming out here for about 4 years offroading in my TJ. Trails I have seen around here are far more difficult then I would ever want to take my commander on. john

1 - 14 of 14 Posts